Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got out to the gravel pit on saturday for a much needed shoot.

Cross-hairs movement at 12 X at 35 yds showed just how rusty I am, even off the rest :p

This was a some what slow paced session- it took me about 4 hours to get about 100 rounds down range. My old nemesis, the wind, put in his usual appearance. Results were still impressive....

'54 39-A with williams 5-D and Imperial target- best group with the imperials was a little over 3/4" at 35. CCI 40 gr subsonic h.p.'s tightened the group up to under 3/4"- not bad at all for no magnification. I think I could narrow the groups with a finer front blade on the 39-A....

Pre-XTR 94-22-M with Ruko 40 gr JHP.

I mounted a Tasco World Class 3-9 X 40 mm for test purposes. This scope likely has a 100 yd parallax setting- the bulls were quite blurred at 9 X at 35 yds- I had to shoot at 6 X in order to see the target clearly. The Ruko ammo is over 20 years old, but shoots just fine- I got a couple of groups that could almost be covered with a dime. With a better scope, this Magnum would be worthy of a BDT attempt...

USRAC 52-B Sporting repro with Lapua Polar Biathlon Competition 40 gr solid.

What can I say but WOWSERS! The Lapua P.O.I. is about 2 inches east of the federal ammo I usually shoot. Once I got the scope zeroed, and the pulled fliers under control, I did some exceedingly tight shooting. The Banner 4-12 X 40 mm A/O is a real pleasure to use. It's the best glass I've ever used. I got a few 5 shot groups that I am very proud of- .30 cal sized holes at 35 yds. I had to stop- I want to save this 8 dollar a box ammo for head popping grouse. I shot half a box- so there is about 75 rounds left for hunting....

A great afternoon at the gravel pit, indeed!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Why 35 yards? Is that just what you have available or is there another reason?

Does Lapua come in 150 round boxes?

Anyhow, glad to hear you had a good time. Now that I have a receiver sight on my 1897, I'll be practicing with iron sights.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Hey Doc,, doing better than me,, can't find enought dry or sun to shoot..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luisyamaha said:
Why 35 yards? Is that just what you have available or is there another reason?

Does Lapua come in 150 round boxes?

Anyhow, glad to hear you had a good time. Now that I have a receiver sight on my 1897, I'll be practicing with iron sights.
Water in the gravel pit allowed only this distance- it's very wet here from abnormal amounts of rain.

Lapua Polar comes in 50 round boxes- I had 2 when I started and am down to a box and half now.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts