Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend my BIL and I went to the Orlando gun show and he walked out with a Remington model 700BDL (stainless) 7MM Rem Mag. He was tickled pink. Well, we went to the range this morning and he setup and started shooting his new rifle. I had built it up so bad that he just knew he was gunna bruise his shoulder firing the dang thing. It actually wasn't any worse than his 308 Winchester.

Meanwhile I took my 444P, 1895G and 1895M and had just setup to shoot the 450. My BIL said he wanted me to try his new rifle and I said I would if he shot mine while I shot his. I know I don't have any pictures but you should have seen his reaction when he touched off the 450 Marlin. He said da#^%$#, I had no idea how powerful these old lever actions are. I told him to shoot a few more while I finished with his 7MM. He politely said no thanks, laid the rifle down on the bench and then commenced to rubbing his shoulder. :biggrin:

Not sure I convinced him to become a lever lover but he has some new found respect for the Guide Guns..........:beerglass:

Another great day at the range.

1895gunner

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats funny, Dad watches me shoot mine and refuses to even give it a try. He always tells people who ask what I am shooting and he says little sausages. Bench shooting always seems worse than shooting at an animal in the bush.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I let a friend shoot my GBL last week. First up, I gave him some 350g trapdoor doads @ 1400fps. He liked them (so do I). Then I gave him a couple 420g 1800fps loads with the warning that they were the big ones.

He must not have believed me. ;)

Shoulda seen his face - right after he collected himself. Looked like a hydraulic ram to the shoulder.

To his credit, he fired the second one.

Complained of a sore shoulder all afternoon. :)

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I let my son shoot my 45-70 with some warmer loads. He had claimed recoil did not bother him. The look on his face was priceless when the gun nearly came out of his hands.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A buddy of mine had a big-bore Marlin lever gun a while back at the range, before I knew a thing about guns at all. I don't know what he was shooting or what caliber it was, but when it went bang you knew it. One guy wanted to shoot it and ended up not gripping the gun hard enough, which came back and bit him a tad. I'm going to see that friend here pretty soon, I'll have to ask him what it was. I think it was a 45-70.

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I don't mind shooting the 450 at all. It actually has less felt recoil than my 444.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
450 Marlin...... The most powerful factory built rifle ever manufactured in the Marlin lever gun!

Gotta love it.:biggrin:

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
450 Marlin...... The most powerful factory built rifle ever manufactured in the Marlin lever gun!

Gotta love it.:biggrin:

1895gunner
I have to go along with that. I found a piece of 450 brass last year, put a handle on it, and use it for a road trip coffee cup :flute:.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
:tee:

·
Registered
261 Posts
My boy was asking to shoot mine one day last summer. I figured he would only shoot one round. He emptied the rifle and shot through 20 more. But hey his first gun was a 12 guage.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I once put 12 rounds through a .416 Rigby, reloads but I was told by #9 that I was shooting hot loads (after I was done). Comparing recoil, these tend to hurt just as much sometimes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That is just too funny!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep. Physics works. It's pretty simple really. Consider the following mathematical formula:

(Pert close to an ounce of lead) X (Dang near twice the speed of sound) = Doggone! That thing kicks, don't it.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
A few years back, my daughter-in-law insisted on trying my guide gun. She is a deputy and a pretty tough ole girl. She is no stranger to shooting. She did not want to try the lighter loads I had (400 cast at about 1200), but wanted to try the full bore ones I had been shooting. Gave her all the usual instructions and she lit one up. Noticed her right arm kinda went limp and the color drained from her face. She handed me the rifle with a pretty mean look. I asked did she want to try it again and she just stalked off the range. After a few minutes she came back still holding her arm. She told me she thought I was just kidding about the recoil and she never wanted to shoot that thing again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts