Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I worked up a 44 Mag load using a plain base 215 grain SWC over 7 grains of Trail Boss. Velocity averaged 1048 fps and shot a nice 50 yard group of .633". I used Starline 44 mag brass and Win LP primers.

I hit the range last Sunday to test the same bullet/powder charge in Winchester 44 Special brass this time. The load shot horrible! It was all over the target frame at 50 yards, NO grouping to speak of. Velocity was 1025 fps. I guess I'll stick to light loads in mag brass in the future!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Even though the velocity was close, the case capacity and distance to the bore was significantly different. Nice experiment and a clear example of how some changes can have a drastic effect.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Just wondering how 44 special factory ammo shoots in the gun.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
Every rifle is an individual with its own preferences. That's the beauty of handloading,experimenting is part of the fun. Any trigger time is time well spent.

Rob

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Bullet hardness plays a big part in whether or not the short cases work. Either the bullet is too soft and slugging up before getting squeezed down in the chamber throat or it's too hard and getting eroded by blow-by before it hits the rifling. If you got a lot of powdery gray leading, the latter is the problem. Personally, I find that Special brass is too dear to use in the 1894, I reserve that for the revolvers and .44 Special factory loads around here are few and at least $10 a box more expensive. Most Special fodder is the super-duper premium "personal protection" loads, so not a cheap alternative to Magnums. I find I can load full-charge Magnum loads with jacketed bullets for about half what factory .44 Specials run.

Stan S.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention, the bullet diameter is .432" which is optimum for this barrel. I don't know what the hardness is though. I've never tried any factory 44 Spl as it's about as scarce as 22 LR ammo around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts