Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my first Marlin 336 to the range over the weekend. This is my first lever gun, and I have to say that it was a blast. I bought it used, and it came with a 9 power scope on it... seems a bit much, but I went ahead and sighted it in anyway. This rifle LOVES the new Leverevolution rounds! I would post pics of the zero target, but my digital camera crapped out on me a couple of days ago. I have 3 rounds in the bullseye, not quite touching, at 300 feet. Why 300 feet? Because thats the longest range where I shoot. I wish it had been further, but oh well. Anyway, this wek I am going to refinish the stock, as this rifel is two years older than I am... and I remember back to the '70s. Maybe I will get a camera in the meantime to take some after pics.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Marlinites strikes again, they are so fun to shoot that before you know it you will be picking up another ..... Sounds like you have a keeper.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, im already thinking about getting this one reblued when im done refinidhing the stock, then giving it to the lil lady as a gift.... she doesnt know it exists yet. guess that means i would have to get another one for myself.... 8)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the immortal ben said:
Just took my first Marlin 336 to the range over the weekend. This is my first lever gun, and I have to say that it was a blast.
Hey Ben,

Congrats on the new toy and welcome to the forum. I am also a new lever owner and now I have 336 and 45-70 too.
Wow, man. You seem to be a good shot. 300 yards. I wish they had ranges like that here too :(

Enjoy the gun and the forum.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the welcome. i had to re-read my initial post after you said 300 yards! what i said though, was 300 feet. thats only about 100 yards. if i could take my private weapons to the same ranges i take my military weapons to... heh that would be fun. pop-ups out to 600 meters :D

i do however happen to qualify expert with every weapon system the Military Police Corps lest me get my hands on lol!

·
Registered
24 Posts
RE: the LeverRevolution ammo..... I just bought a couple boxes of the stuff in .30 and .35 calibers to try. A fellow who owns a gun shop in my part of the world, and who also owns and shoots several Marlin lever action calibers, including .444, says that he has been told that this stuff works very well, with one exception. The last round in the magazine sometimes does not feed properly. He also says that Marlin has produced the new SS XLR series of rifles to address this problem. He also says he is told that Marlin will supply a reengineered lifter to retrofit older guns to cure this problem.

I can't find any thing (yet) to confirm any of this, and I haven't yet had time to fire my own rifles to find out how the stuff works. The gun shop owner has always been a reliable source over several past years. Still, I wonder if it is just a way to sell addtional rifles. I sure wouldn't mind having the XLR in several calibers, but I still would hope the LeverRevolution ammo will not have feeding and function problems in my old guns.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I can find no comments about this issue here on the forum. I'm new here, and I appreciate the opportunity to read and listen. Looks as if a feller could learn something if he's not careful!! :!: :idea:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the problem is with the magazine spring follower thingy, not the lifter. And, I think it's only a problem sometimes in some of the older guns. If you have a problem with the last round feeding I think you can get a plastic follower to replace the old metal ones and put it in yourself real easy. Cheap, too. See how it work in your gun before you bother with it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You can also load one round of standard ammo against the magazine follower to solve the "problem". Then load the LEVERevolution stuff on top of it.

This costs nothing extra. Unless you are just into blazing through a full magazine for the halibut, you won't get down to that cartridge anyhow. :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks guys, that makes more sense to me. I couldn't see what would be different for the lifter for round one, three or the last one. The follower could make the difference. I figured to try mine (both guns) before I made any changes. It's good to know that Marlin will sell us the part if we need it.

That's also a great tip, WSH, to load a regular round first to cure the problem, if it exists. As you say, it's hard to conceive of a situation where you would be so overrun and attacked by critters that you'd need to empty the gun!! :shock: I guess if maybe you were repelling boarders, but then why waste the good ammo on them anyway. Besides, I have an 1894 in .357 that'll take care of that chore very nicely!! :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had heard of this problem of the last round not loading correctly, but I wanted to see for myself. I ran just one box (20 rounds) through my 1974 model 336 and had NO feeding problems. So as long as I have no problem, I see no reason for me to change anything. I wouldnt run out and get a new follower just because.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm glad to hear that, Ben. I'm sure gonna try mine first before changing anything!! Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so you are from new mexico huh? im fixin to move to albuquerque in a few months so you are gonna have to let me know where the good hunting is man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, there's lotsa stuff to hunt right inside the city limits!! In fact, the morning news is usually full of last nights success stories. Mostly, bag limits are usually taken!!.

Depends of course on what you wanta hunt fer..... Once you get to be a resident and qualify for that license, quite a bit of hunting can be done for not too much money. Small game and big game and birds, dove, quail and waterfowl, etc are fairly plentiful once you get to know the area. Most anywhere in the state is good for predators (calling coyotes, etc). There are lots of hunters and shooters in the Albuquerque area that you should be able to make contact with to get more specific information.

I live down in the southeast corner, where things are much different from the Albuquerque area. I think you'll have to be willing to do some driving to get far enough away from lotsa folks to be allowed to hunt in peace, but I am aware that there are quite a few possibilities for some things south along the Rio Grande in the bosques along that river drainage. Albuquerque is an interesting place. Big City now, compared to the large town it used to be. But it's a pretty place (area I mean.... all cities are pretty dirty and ugly to me mostly)

It ought to be an interesting experience for you. Charlie's Sporting Goods on Menaul street is a place you probably need to become acquainted with, and there's a new big Sportsman's Supply Store over on the north side of town just west of I-25. NOt a lot of things you need there, but man, they got a ton of it!! Ron Peterson's guns down in Old Town on Central (watch out for the hookers and the druggies!!) has also been there a long time and has quite a bit of firearms related stuff. There are a few other places, but those will get ya started!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts