Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 336 30-30 and the 1894 to the range today. I have a 2.5x scout scope on the 336 and a 1-4x on the 1894.

On my last range trip, I was trying to sight in my 30-30 scope AND aperture sights and was having a heck of a time, because the targets were large and black so the contrast was poor.

I just love that 44. Man, it's just too much fun to be legal. I had it close from a few weeks ago and fine tuned it to shoot 3/4" high at 50 yards. Got it close enough. It looks like it's shooting about a 2 - 3 MOA which is quite fine by me. I was using a different brand of ammo than my usual WWB. I think with a bit of playing around I can get it to a solid 2 MOA without much trouble..

Then I switched to my 30-30. I took an initial shot and couldn't see the bullet hole in the target. I figured it was off that far. I finally saw a hole dead center after staring at the target for several minutes. So, I cranked it up a couple of notches and took about a dozen shots. I couldn't see any of the holes in the target but when I walked up, they were all spot on and very tight. I was more than pleased. It shoots about 1 MOA and I have no problems with that! I didn't take the time to check the aperture sights because it was 100 degrees out and I was wearing out fast. My eyes also start to get tired pretty quickly, too.

Then I broke out my Ruger SR1911 and shot 50 rounds through it. I was a bit shaky from heat exhaustion but kept it on target pretty well. Last trip, I finished adjusting the sights on it and it sure seems to be spot on, also. When I bought it, the front sight wasn't centered in the dovetail so it shot very far left. I took it to my favorite gun shop and they drifted it over for me and I finalized it by tweaking the rear sight a tiny bit and now, it's pretty much dead on and when I'm steady, I can get one ragged hole at 12 yards. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I am happy with it.

So, I'm grinning like a jackass eating sand briars!

One thing, too, is that when I'm out in the heat like that for even a short time, I tend to get shaky and also to get cramps in my hands and fingers (like when I'm driving home). When I get home, I drink a lot as well as eat something salty and to top it off, I take a couple of Potassium pills. This combination keeps me from cramping up when I go to sleep that night. Next trip, I'm going to take some pills before I get on the range. I hate being an old phart.

But it was a great day!!!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
What ammo were you using in your 30-30?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
170 grain Core Lokt. I was using up a couple of boxes of the JHP, because I like the 170 grain Core Lokt JSP a lot better for hunting. They both shoot to the same POA in my rifle.

Because of my eye capabilities, I was shooting but couldn't see my bullet holes. It turned out when I walked up that the "bullet holes" I could see turned out to be 2 bullet holes almost touching. I was amazed at how much the change in target helped me get on target. I was using the white paper grid paper with the large orange bull with white lines through it horizontally and vertically. "100 yard sight in target". Being able to see the cross hairs made a world of difference. ;D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back when I was young and dumb (late 70s or early 80s) I had a 336 in 30-30 that would hold 1-2 MOA at 50 yards all day long (with young 20/15 vision through iron sights). Of course, being young and dumb I got rid of it (I can't even remember what I traded it for!!!!) I had always heard (and continue to hear) the conventional wisdom "lever guns, with their two-piece stocks and lack of stiffness aren't capable of any real accuracy". Bull!!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sounds like a really fun day at the range..I need to get more range time now that I'm thinking about it. It's been a month! :(

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a blast. Only down side is the range is an even 2 and 1/2 hour drive from the house.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time, not much beats an afternoon at the range. Hopefully I'll be going myself before too long.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tatersoup said:
Took the 336 30-30 and the 1894 to the range today. I have a 2.5x scout scope on the 336 and a 1-4x on the 1894.

On my last range trip, I was trying to sight in my 30-30 scope AND aperture sights and was having a heck of a time, because the targets were large and black so the contrast was poor.

I just love that 44. Man, it's just too much fun to be legal. I had it close from a few weeks ago and fine tuned it to shoot 3/4" high at 50 yards. Got it close enough. It looks like it's shooting about a 2 - 3 MOA which is quite fine by me. I was using a different brand of ammo than my usual WWB. I think with a bit of playing around I can get it to a solid 2 MOA without much trouble..

Then I switched to my 30-30. I took an initial shot and couldn't see the bullet hole in the target. I figured it was off that far. I finally saw a hole dead center after staring at the target for several minutes. So, I cranked it up a couple of notches and took about a dozen shots. I couldn't see any of the holes in the target but when I walked up, they were all spot on and very tight. I was more than pleased. It shoots about 1 MOA and I have no problems with that! I didn't take the time to check the aperture sights because it was 100 degrees out and I was wearing out fast. My eyes also start to get tired pretty quickly, too.

Then I broke out my Ruger SR1911 and shot 50 rounds through it. I was a bit shaky from heat exhaustion but kept it on target pretty well. Last trip, I finished adjusting the sights on it and it sure seems to be spot on, also. When I bought it, the front sight wasn't centered in the dovetail so it shot very far left. I took it to my favorite gun shop and they drifted it over for me and I finalized it by tweaking the rear sight a tiny bit and now, it's pretty much dead on and when I'm steady, I can get one ragged hole at 12 yards. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I am happy with it.

So, I'm grinning like a jackass eating sand briars!

One thing, too, is that when I'm out in the heat like that for even a short time, I tend to get shaky and also to get cramps in my hands and fingers (like when I'm driving home). When I get home, I drink a lot as well as eat something salty and to top it off, I take a couple of Potassium pills. This combination keeps me from cramping up when I go to sleep that night. Next trip, I'm going to take some pills before I get on the range. I hate being an old phart.

But it was a great day!!!
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've gotten to the point I just about don't even try for real precision at the range this time of year. A perfect example, last week my heavy barrel .308 which normally averages 1/2 MOA or less with any 165gr load, wouldn't do better than 1 1/4" at 100yrds with Federal Gold Metal Match. I know its not the gun, its me. Even if I can get steady, I can't seem to get the cross hairs in focus, even before the heat mirage kicks in. That doesn't seem to matter what kind of optical device the cross hairs are in either......maybe I need to cut back on the caffeine.. :'(

As a land surveyor I'm outside every day, as long as it isn't raining, regardless of temperature and I'm pretty sure that it takes me the entire weekend to get re-hydrated after a week of solid 95* plus days. I've found it helps to drink as much water as I can stand before going outside for the day and then at frequent regular intervals, thirsty or not. By the time I'm thirsty its already too late.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As part of my civil engineering career, I spent about 5 years on a survey crew. Very rewarding work.

Today, I still have my 40+ year old plumb bob and it now doubles as a very flexible brass hammer for my "gunsmith" needs. Thin end for gentle taps, large end for heavier taps.

A friend of mine is a wetland scientist and spends a lot of time in the field. He takes GaterAid and freezes it and carries it with him in the hot summer sun. As it thaws, it makes for a tasty, cool beverage with nutrients to keep him from getting heat exhaustion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts