Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the custom 1895SBL out the the range yesterday...it was a very sad day, one round through and a failure to eject, used the cleaning rod to help the round and it cleared easily then the next round would not allow the lever to complete closure. So it was back to the gunsmith with the ammo, FTE case and rifle. He dropped everything and measured the heck out of every potential variable. It turned out to be a chamber throat sizing issue and he corrected everything N/C. I was back at the range this afternoon. After sighting in the new Leupold scope at 50 yards with my plinking rounds (350 Barry's round shoulder with 55 gr Varget) I moved to 100 and fired four more. I backed to 200 yards and fired 1-250 grain Barnes TSX, 2-300 grain Barnes TSX and 1-325 grain Hornady FTX these were 2372 fps, 2239 fps and 2198 fps respectively from the 24" barrel over H4198. They each gained between 172 and 218 since firing the same loads in teh 18.5" SBL barrel.

The spread on the groupings were 1.75" at 50 yd, 2.4" 100 yards and 3.1 at 200 yards.

Everything fed well, extracted perfectly, the gun was very stable in every respect. The 200 yard shots were far better than anything I expected. I was hoping for 6" and would have felt fine with 8" given the variability in the rounds. The elevation dots worked great on the scope and allowed me to compensate for the different loads. Plans on making up range cards for everything in the future.

After the rough start yesterday I am a much happier person leaving the range today...happy with both the new gun the barrel and the loads

Attachments

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Good shooting. You have a keeper there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So, you shot three different kinds of ammo at 200 yards with a .45-70 and got a 1.55 MOA group? Don't ever let go of that rifle. :adore:

Reactions: Owen49 and msharley

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So, you shot three different kinds of ammo at 200 yards with a .45-70 and got a 1.55 MOA group? Don't ever let go of that rifle. :adore:
LOL, What I will say about the accuracy is apparently my shaking aligned with where the bullets were heading, not sure I would take it any further than that. If I can replicate it again the next time then I will start thinking the barrel was crafted out of a shard of a dying star and for sure it will be a keeper, Thanks for the encouragement though!!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
17,109 Posts
Hey J,

Fine shooting!

Glad you have a GOOD RIFLE MECHANIC!! (scarce as "hen's teeth")

Later, Mark

Reactions: jbridgely

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep working on those loads, it should do better. I used IMR 4198 in my 444 with hornady 265g fp and I usually got .75-1” 5 shot groups at 100 with a 1-4 leupold. With the right load, you’ll do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well sir, your shooting skill is vastly superior to what mine is or what it ever was for that matter. Sub-MOA groups with a .444 or 45-70 is a true feat of firearms prowess with any load, well done!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well sir, your shooting skill is vastly superior to what mine is or what it ever was for that matter. Sub-MOA groups with a .444 or 45-70 is a true feat of firearms prowess with any load, well done!!
You can do it too. All I had was sand bags. The trick is to get the rifle settled on the bags such that it’s on bull without touching the gun. After that it’s just getting comfortable wrapping around it and using good trigger discipline. It took me awhile, plus, I had to did a load the gun liked. For me it was 49g imr4198. Hot, yes, but not excessive and it’s poison on deer. Overkill really.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can do it too. All I had was sand bags. The trick is to get the rifle settled on the bags such that it’s on bull without touching the gun. After that it’s just getting comfortable wrapping around it and using good trigger discipline. It took me awhile, plus, I had to did a load the gun liked. For me it was 49g imr4198. Hot, yes, but not excessive and it’s poison on deer. Overkill really.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like quite a bench set up...

The range I use tends to lend itself more to hunters than shooters. The gun club has 127 members with 80% being over 75 years old. The bench has one all weather sandbag for the that is about 3" when laid flat, 6 inches when propped on one edge and 8 inches propped on the other. I prop it on edge and hit it hard enough with my hand enough to make a place where my hand can rest under the forearm and I can align with the 100 yd target. When I put it on the other edge and use the same process I can get close to aligning with the 200 yard target. The back is all you and if you released the gun it would fall to the side and point at the top of the trees behind the targets.

In truth, I am not overly concerned about what the load and bullet and gun is capable of shooting as much as I care about what I can do with the loads and bullets and gun. I just kind of assume the the gun and all the loads shoot sub .5 MOA at all distances and anytime I shoot I know I am the variability and error factor, never the gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the advice, that sounds like quite a bench set up...

The range I use tends to lend itself more to hunters than shooters. The gun club has 127 members with 80% being over 75 years old. The bench has one all weather sandbag for the that is about 3" when laid flat, 6 inches when propped on one edge and 8 inches propped on the other. I prop it on edge and hit it hard enough with my hand enough to make a place where my hand can rest under the forearm and I can align with the 100 yd target. When I put it on the other edge and use the same process I can get close to aligning with the 200 yard target. The back is all you and if you released the gun it would fall to the side and point at the top of the trees behind the targets.

In truth, I am not overly concerned about what the load and bullet and gun is capable of shooting as much as I care about what I can do with the loads and bullets and gun. I just kind of assume the the gun and all the loads shoot sub .5 MOA at all distances and anytime I shoot I know I am the variability and error factor, never the gun.
I just like to remove as much of myself out of the results as I can, so I know exactly what it will do or really where it will go. The range I used to go to had many sand bags and I used them front and rear. for me, it was just about having confidence in myself and the gun and testing out the loads too. Funny thing is I could never get my Mark X Mauser in .30-06 to shoot as well as the Marlin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.