Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my last trip the range being a complete bust due to a broken firing pin I finally made it back today with what I hoped would be a functioning 336CS in .35 Rem. This time it went BANG! I had shot the rifle a few times before but being in a shotgun only state for deer I hadn't fired it for real in several years. But, I'm going on the trip to Michigan that I've always wanted to take and just had to get my centerfire ready to go. I had a Millet 4X32 compact scope installed and bore-sighted, and bought a couple of boxes of 200 gr. Core-lokt rounds from Remington.

I started at 50 yds. and initial POI was about four inches low and two inches to the left. After about 25 rounds and got it to shoot about a half inch high, three rounds in a nice tight group. Then I moved over the 100 yd. range. It was pretty much dead on. I think I adjusted it for an inch to the left. The groups weren't as tight as I'd like. Out of six shots there was one shot about 3.5" high and another about 3.5" low - the other four were within two inches of the center of the target. Good enough for hunting purposes, I think. Man, that target is alot farther way at 100 yds than it is at 50 yds.

The first adjustments I made went WAY overboard. being four inches low at 50 yrds I adjusted 32 clicks up (being 1/4 MOA clicks). That immediately took me to about six inches high. But, after that the scope adjustments acted a little bit more like they should have. Maybe the new scope and mount just had to get seated from the recoil of a few rounds.

The only thing that concerns me is that the first round in a string of three was often about two to three inches higher than the the final two shots which would group within an inch of each other. I'd say this happened in about half of the 8 three shot groups that I fired. I hope it was just me and not something in the rifle.

Well, on to the great north woods! May the Almighty grant me safety and success! 8)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You didn't say if you are cleaning the barrel between strings. Some rifles need a fowling shot before they shoot well and if that is the case, fire the rifle and then shoot for accuracy. When you clean it at the range fire a fowling shot and leave it for the hunt.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I wasn't cleaning the barrel between strings. I didn't clean the barrel the whole time at the range. I probably won't clean it until I'm ready to put it away for the year. I used to clean my guns thoroughly after everytime I came home from shooting them. Even if I only fired one shot. But, so many people on internet forums have convinced me that they don't need to be cleaned that often. So, once per season is going to do it for me from no on.

I suppose those that clean between shots at the range are shooting for the purpose of marksmanship. I'm not looking to be shooting accurately just for the pure joy of shooting accurately. I just want a good accurate gun that I can shoot well while hunting. I think my gun/scope/ammo is good enough for that. Especially since I am commited to nice short shots.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have noticed that my .35 barrel heats up much quicker than my 30-30's. This may be part of what is happening to you. If the gun cooled off enough between strings your cold barrel shots may be higher or left or right.

You seem to be sighted in well enough for your hunting purposes. As time allows now that your scope is set shoot three shot groups but allow your gun to completely cool between each and every shot and see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts