Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well folks i FINALLY got to take my first set of reloads to the range today. and i am quite happy with the results.first off all brass was starline, once fired. for each load i used 5 350gr bullets and 5 405gr bullets for a total of 10 rounds of each powder charge. winchester magnum primers. and the powder was h335. first set of 10 (5 and 5), 38.8 gr. next set of 10 was 40.3 gr. 3rd set of 10 was 41.9gr and final set of 10 was 43.4 gr of powder. the target was a 12" diameter at 100 yards free standing. i know i flinched on the first couple because i didn't know if it was going to blow up in my face literally, but after that it was a fun day! and thanks to mazer for the help getting me started on the powder charges a few months back!thank you sir, MUCH appreciated! and to CDOC thank you for the suggestion of H335 powder. when i first joined the MO, one of the "hot topics" was what powder to use and you asked if anyone had used h335. well, a few months later i am at a LGS trying to find a powder i could use and lo and behold the only thing they had there that i KNEW could be used in a 45-70 was a pound of H335. i have since been educated on the other powders i can use but the only purchase of powder i have made was that 1 lb. i still have enough for a bunch more but ... the addiction has truly begun lol. and thank you to many of you for all the information i have gleaned while perusing the MO, doc, msharley, bbri, wind,johnny, frank, 1895, oh heck there are too many of you, lol so figure about half the 45-70 members plus some others.

kurtis

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
LOL, that first shot of your own reloads is a fun one for sure..... not knowing if you did something horrorably wrong and will it blow up in your face? I remember that feeling! Glad to hear your all right with all your body parts still there.. :congrats:

Welcome to the wonderful world of the reloader!!!

Doc

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Kurtis,

Always a fun time (shooting one's own ammo) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I still remember that first deer taken waaaaay back with my handload, and the first critter taken with my own 45/70 cast boolit in one of my hand loads was just as good of a memory and happened just a few years ago.

Good memories! Both many years old and more recent, they are all good.

Taking a new RUGER American to the range last Summer and during my first series of work up tests finding the rifles sweet spot. WOW again another good memory of something that doesn't always happen.

Then there the target on my "brag board" shot March 6, 1982 with 4 shots into 1/4" center to center and the total of 5 shots giving 3/8" C to C. Fired from a RUGER #1 - .223 that I had recently stocked. 25gr 3031, 50gr Hornady SX.

Yep, many good memories!

And did I tell you about that long past November morning sitting on a hill side in the Blue mountains of S. E. Washington, first morning of elk season with my first RUGER #1 laying across my knees. 7mm Rem mag I should have never sold. Took my first elk a year or so later with that rifle.

Memories :biggrin: :biggrin:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol lever i do most of my shooting freestanding i am a bit on the large side {6'2" 300lbs} AND a southpaw, so sitting in one of those dinky little DNR seats just is NOT comfortable in multiple ways. i am finally getting the hang of using my right hand to load the magtube lol it has only taken 300 rounds to get to a competent level, not fast mind you just competent. i figure another 1000 rounds and i will be good at it lol! you are absolutely right mazer but i have a feeling i am darn close with that 43.4 gr load, especially with the 405 gr boolits, the group seemed to tighten right up and no real kick either. i could have taken off the buttpad i think and not really felt any difference. now i just need to catch up with a friend of mine who has a chronograph and clock the next batch.... i hope! thanks again everyone for the support and assistance.

kurtis

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
:hmmmm: :shot: OH NO GrondHamer!! another "lefty". :flute:

It's like I tell my left handed brother in law, "don't matter, cause Leftys ain't got no rights." :biggrin:

Now, you could have and maybe should have, kept that quiet, but since you didn't, your now in for it!

Seriously, the folk here even let "leftys" play here just like they do this RUGER #1 - 45/70 shooter.

But be prepared, for a hard road, I've been trying to re-educate these guys for a few years now and it just ain't working. :biggrin: :biggrin: Think I'm out numbered!

Good place for good info on the 45/70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
93 Posts
CDOC…The truth of the matter is that some people are "right" handed
while others are "wrong" handed. (it's hard to type tongue-in-cheek)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok folks you have to remember, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa. THEREFORE.... us leftys are the only ones who are TRULY in our RIGHT minds! LOL

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
congrats on having your first loads work for you i have been loading and hunting with mine for 30 years an enjoy using them let us know if you have any problems theirs a lot experience on this site to help you

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
GrondHamar,

VERY GOOD! All of us righties know your wrong, but we will give you points for a good effort. :congrats::congrats:

I keep hoping my brother in law will come through this dark period of his life, but at about 75, I'm think'in he as been too long left and will never get it right! :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hee - bet we all shared that feeling of doom that the bowels of Hell were about to open 6 inches in front of our nose first time out. Makes me smile thinking back, wondering where I would land after the recoil.. I still sort of get the same feeling when I touch-off BP loads in my big boomer, my Snider Cavalry Carbine, it's a model 2* with no real Breech Lock - someone told me it was known as the Suicide Snider..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.