Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeeeeez -

Got the 1894C today.. Felt like a kid at Xmas time all weekend, waiting to open packages and knowing what was in them.

Any way - Did the transfer with my gunsmith today. We took a look at the rifle and it looked brand new with the exception of a small scratch on the magazine tube. Doesn't look like there were many rounds through the ol' girl. Gunsmith thought - - maybe a box. Barrel perfect, wood perfect, has JM rolled on the barrel. The action seems to be smooth although, Frank, the gunsmith, says I need to run a few hundred rounds through it to really see how she feels.

So - - - I took her upstairs to the range and put a box of 38sp and a box of 357's. ;D ;D ;D ;D I hit the target with every shot! The interesting thing is, the left target is the 357s, and the right the 38s. Shot the box of 38s first then the 357s. The 357s were about 1.5 to 2" below the 38s. I showed them to Frank after to get his thoughts and he said that the 357 load dips and then comes up??? Have never heard that before. But there are alot of things I haven't heard before.

Any way - 100 rounds - the barrel got hot. I did try to fire as rapidly as I could and still hit the target.

Boy - The rifle is smooth - no problems other than I didn't have enough time to run 1 or 200 more through her.

You guys are right - fun rifle to shoot.

Have a Skinner tactical rear sight coming soooooo ..... I am looking forward to running another hundred or 2 through her real soon.

I suspect, I will have to find a place to create a reload area so I can feed the beast. ;D ;D

-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the new to you rifle. I was at our local indoor range on Saturday & on the way out spotted an 1894C hanging on the wall. Bought it on the spot. I had about 60 rounds of 38's left so went back into the range & shot em up. My group looked about like yours.
Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
"The 357s were about 1.5 to 2" below the 38s. " Just a couple of thoughts on that. 1) the 357 loads are faster than the 38's, so less time in the barrel under recoil so the barrel is lower at bullet exit from the muzzle...or 2) The difference is due to the resonance in the barrel with the two different loads. I lean more towards the 1st though.

Either way, it's a fun gun, ain't it!?!? ;D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ringo Steele said:
"The 357s were about 1.5 to 2" below the 38s. " Just a couple of thoughts on that. 1) the 357 loads are faster than the 38's, so less time in the barrel under recoil so the barrel is lower at bullet exit from the muzzle...or 2) The difference is due to the resonance in the barrel with the two different loads. I lean more towards the 1st though.

Either way, it's a fun gun, ain't it!?!? ;D
Yeah that ! Longer barrel time accounts for the higher POI.

ENJOY !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmmm.......Good Pernt.

Had to take her out of the safe for a while this evening and give her some exercise. Just couldn't keep my hands off of her.

I got it bad. I think it's the most fun I've had shooting in a long - long time.

At what range do you think I should sight her in at?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I chose to sight mine in for 75 yards. I just use the factory iron sights, so haven't shot it at over 100 yards yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts