Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the wife went to the mall so I had the opportunity to spend a few hours at the range :D I took 3 marlins, my model 39A, a Papoose and my 1894 in 44 magnum (see report in the 1894 forum under Montana Gold bullets).

After shooting the 1894 I couldn't even tell the Model 39A fired. I took it apart and looked down the barrel to make sure it didn't squib on me. Everying was clear and so I walked down to the spotting scope to look at the target. Yup, there was a nice little 22 hole in the bull, just like it should. :oops: I guess I should have done that first.

The 39 has a Williams 5D sight on it and I put the smaller .050 appeture in it. I've decided I don't like this set up with the stock front post as it blocks out too much of the target. A simple post would work better, especially for hunting at ranges around 50 yards. This bothered me enough that I didn't shoot another group with it.

The wind was blowing L to R and strung my group horizontally just over 1". Top to bottom the group was under 1/2". Not bad but I know this gun will shoot better than that at 50 yards. I was using Aquila SE subsonic.

With the wind blowing like it was I moved to the 25 yard range with the PAPOOSE (stainless & synthetic version). It's been a while since I shot this and I had fogotten how much I dislike the trigger. Once I got over that I settled in for a good time with a box of Fedral bulk ammo. Once I got the scope adjusted the little Papoose delivered the bullets into nice 1/2 to 1" groups dead center of the 25 yard bullseye, even with the wind. The Wally World bulk Fedral ammo worked flawlessly and shot better than any other inexpensive bulk ammo I have tried in this gun.

Once that got boring I decided to test the zero after removing and reinstalling the barrel. I did this three times and the zero remained perfect.

The Simmons Compact 4x scope looks good on the little Papoose. It's small size is proportional and the silver finish is a fairly good match. It is also small enough to fit inside the Papoose case with the styrofoam packing removed. While the optics are not as nice as my Leupold 4x, it's size and price work well for this carbine. The adjustment strews are easy to use without tools.

The eye relief is minimal and with a short scope it requires maximum setback on the Papoose's dovetail Even then I still need to move my head closer than is comfortable, especially for a long range session.

The crosshairs are too thick. It obsures small bulleyes and squirrels heads. Compared to my Leupold, the crosshairs look massive.

The Papoose is a fun little carbine. It's is as accurate as my 10-22 (stock) and WAY better than my AR-7 (traded). It will shoot/cycle a wider variety of ammo than either and will even cycle Remington Subsonics most of the time. A better trigger would be nice but after a while you get used to it. Every time I think I'm going to trade it, I take it to the range and it wins me back. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The .44 mag is loud even in a rifle- hope you are using hearing protection, and not suffering temporary hearing loss.

I found a plain jane beadless straight blade front to work well with the 5-D sight on my 39-A.

Thanks for the report on the papoose- if I can find a blued/wood model, it may be inneresting to me...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I snatched up a Papoose when they first hit the market back in 86,thought it would be a good pack rifle for small game.I had to re-zero the scope (witch I need)each time I reasembled the little bugger,so I passed it along to a fellow who prefered iron sights.I'v talked to several guys who had the same problem.Has the barrel mounting system improved on late models?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mudpuppy said:
Has the barrel mounting system improved on late models?
I honestly don't know as I have not owned the older model. I know the oder models can fire without the magazine and mine requires a little tab to be depressed to fire. That and the blue/wood & Stainless/Synthetic are the only differences I'm aware of.

Mine has been quite impressive holding zero. This time out I had to take it out of the safe, disassemble it, pack it in it's case, travel to range, reassemble, shot a group and it was centered right where I expected it to be. I was shooting at 25 yards and the previous zero was 50. I made the elevation adjustment, shot several more groups, disassembled-reassembled 2 twice more including putting it back in the case to test it. Spot on. More than I had expected or even hoped for.

I scoped mine because I couldn't shoot it well enough with the open sights. I'm not a big fan of the buckhorn sights anyways but the plastic sights on the newer papoose are a lot worse than those on my Marlin lever actions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wet Dog said:
The 39 has a Williams 5D sight on it and I put the smaller .050 appeture in it. I've decided I don't like this set up with the stock front post as it blocks out too much of the target. A simple post would work better, especially for hunting at ranges around 50 yards. This bothered me enough that I didn't shoot another group with it.
Wet Dog

I had a Marbles peep sight on my 1897CL for a while before I decided to scope it. I had the same problem with the front sight being to large and basically covering up the target. I put a Lyman 17A Globe sight on mine and picked up some Lee Shaver inserts. Here are some pics..."Pre Scope".

The Lee Shaver inserts really did the trick for the front glob sight. For target shooting I used the thin cross-hairs, but for hunting I used a combination of the thin cross-hairs and the small post & bead (see pic above)

Here is what the Lee Shaver inserts look like:

And here is a link to the Lee Shaver web-site:
http://www.egunsmith.com/Default.htm?intro.html

This set up worked great till my eyes got so bad I couldn't pick the squirrels out of the leaves. Was finally forced to put a scope on. I put a Burris Compact 4-12x32 W/AO & Target Knobs on and now...........no squirrel in the woods is safe!!! :wink:

firstshot
----------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the range today and fired 60 more rounds out of it without adjusting the scope. That included 3 assemblys and dissaemblys between the last range session and two transports in case. Still right on at 25 yards. Shot several 1" 10 shot groups on a windy and warm day.

I'll keep testing it. It's fun to blast away with it while the centerfires are cooling. Both 7 & 10 round magazines performing flawlessly with the inexpensive Fedral wally world bulk ammo. At 50 meters there was a slight improvement in accuracy with CCI mini mags. POI is very similar too.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHOOT THIS THING said:
Any of you guys know of a source for a scope mount to fit the Mountie barrell drilled holes on the 39-A
They turn up on E-Bay once in a while. You might have better luck point a wanted ad in one of the Cowboy forums or Rimfire Central. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts