Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gentlemen, I took the leap to try out the Horniday brass with the same load info I was so successful with. The results were ugly at best. The recoil was much more than I have felt with any other brass and the best shot group at 100 was 2.2825. There was a little wind and I didn't chrono, but the groups showed pressure spikes based on them being completely vertical off the rest. I have heard they were no good, but hadn't seen any posts on data for this. I resized all the casings at the same time, double weighed powder as usual, trimmed them to the exact length, weighed the boolets, weighed the casings. The only thing different was the use of Horniday brass. Maybe the length didn't cause a consistent crimp. I guess that brass will just sit until I figure something out. I would hate to throw away a bunch of brass. Might trim them to the cannelure and try again. Some of the primers looked a little pancaked.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
If your load was near max then the shorter brass with the bullet seated even deeper would cause higher pressures. I would use the Hornady brass for light loads and you should have no problem.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
If your groups were less than 3" at 100yds and the recoil wasn't too bad, then keep on keeping on... Flattened primers are a tell tale but still the groups were within any game animal you would take with a .45 cal bullet...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were all loaded in Leverevulsion brass. I get an inch to 1.5 out of any other brass with that recipe.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
If the boolits were seated to the cannular in the shorter brass then the OAL would be shorter. That would increase the distance the boolit has to go before engaging the rifling. I'm sure there are more knowlegable reloaders than I am, but the shorter brass was made that way for a reason. It was to be used with the FTX bullet. Try the same load with regular length Hornady brass and see if you get the same results.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Since Hornady Leverevolution brass is shorter, you might consider reloading them with Leverevolution bullets, at least that way they wont beat you to death and you can use the brass. Throwing brass away is terrible thing. Or you could sell the brass online here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the boolits were seated to the cannular in the shorter brass then the OAL would be shorter. That would increase the distance the boolit has to go before engaging the rifling. I'm sure there are more knowlegable reloaders than I am, but the shorter brass was made that way for a reason. It was to be used with the FTX bullet. Try the same load with regular length Hornady brass and see if you get the same results.
That's a good point about using them with the FTX boolets and I may have to end up using those. That isn't necessarily true with the Rem round. Rem 405s aren't seated and crimped at a canelure, even at the factory. Rem factory rounds have a heavy crimp beneath where the bullet is seated and then at the case mouth to hold it in place. I believe it's the only round that uses this double crimp style. I could cut a few of them down to the canelure as I have seen suggested. The current position puts this odd brass and odd round in a bad spot. I may also try a few sierra 300gr rounds I have had no success with getting those down to an inch on a regular basis, but I am shooting those about 500fps under max load. Lots to think about. I have gotten used to stronger recoil lately and holding the rifle with a tight hold and still getting good groups when I do my part. Keep in mind that most of my rifles are in the 12 pound category including nearly all my hunting rifles.

The round I loaded has a mild crimp just at the case mouth.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am confused. Are you saying Rem uses a taper and a roll crimp on the same cartridge? Semper Fi
Look at the pic closely, it shows two crops on the factory round.The reload I did still bares the scar from the crimp just beneath where the bullet is seated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
it might be possible your crimp isn't enough to hold your bullet firmly.When you have them in the mag tube when firing, the bullets might be moving down into the powder. Thus increasing pressure. Lets hope you're not using Lev.brass (shorter) as stated above, with "regular" loadings-you could have compressed loadings with excessive unsafe pressure rounds.IMO

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One reloading caveat, all Hornady 45/70 brass must be trimmed identically to the same overall length.

So what ever the shortest casing measures to, all other casing must be trimmed to equal that length.

If you do not trimme all to the same OL, you will get variances in pressure and head seating which will affect accuracy. Also, if possible, chronograph the rounds and try to keep their velocity to around 1,325 - 1,350fps. You should see improvements immediately if everything else is equal.

Reactions: giarc noskcaj
1 - 15 of 15 Posts