Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1983, 336 .35Rem a few weeks back. This rifle is in very good shape with a nice bore and so forth. I put a Nikon 4X-32 rimfire scope on it as it was one of the few I could find that was in that power range and not overly clunky.

I sighted it in at 50 yds. to start, which shot nicely, then moved to 75 yds., again shooting good and at point of aim, but then when I when out to 100 yds., nothing. Now I must say that I am a good shot, (Expert Rifle Badge in the U.S. Army w/h open sight M16 out to 300m) and I have been hunting and so forth since I was a youngin, so I have doubt that it was such a gross error of mine, but perhaps it was.

--Ammo being used was the Remington 200gr. Core Lokt.

--Weather was crappy- snowing/slushing, two or so feet of snow cover, poor light.

--I was lying prone, which I have shot three times this distance with success.

--Range was estimated by scope reticle on a measured target, should have been accurate within several yards.

So my questions are as follows,

1.) Has anyone used a rimfire on this rifle with success? Could this scope be harmed by the recoil of the .35Rem and thus not be shooting POA?
2.) Has anyone had bad experience with this factory ammo? I am not accustom to shooting factory ammo, as I handload everything, but I needed the brass, so bought some factory loads.
3.) Am I leaving anything out?

Thanks for listening to my long a#* ramblings.

Safe Journeys
Greebe

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would say the scope is most likely the source of the problem. If it shot good at 50 and 75 it should shoot good at 100. The ammo is good ammo as far as factory goes. Pull the scope off or try another one. That would be the best place to start.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Is the scope fixed focus or parallax adjustable? Check it for noticeable parallax at 100 yards. Rimfire scopes are parallax adjusted for a 50 to 75 yard range if they are fixed focus, as the Nikon probably is.

Another 25-50 yards shouldn't make any difference, and the problem should be something other than parallax, but when something isn't working you've got to check everything and take nothing for granted.

I agree, it is odd that groups should be good at 50 and 75 and poor at 100. To eliminate another variable, shoot from a solid rest, with the front support sandbag at the back of the forend or the front of the receiver. Then you'll know whether it's you or the gun/scope.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Did you drop back to 50 yds again after trying the 100yds to see if you were still on. Truthfully it's probably the scope. My friend had been shooting a 45/70 with scope for a year with good results. He shot a few of my heavy 405 grain loads and his accuracy went to hell after that. Thought maybe he had leaded the barrel. Nope, scope base loosened up. Did fine with his cowboy loads for a year. It is possible you lost part of the reticle in your scope but usually you string shots one way or another. Did the whole group spread or string? Rick

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Take you and the rifle out of the equation: yank the scope and shoot with the iron sights and see how it does.....probably pretty good. I'd guess it's that .22 scope, tho you'd think a Nikon would hold up better than that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

The scope is one of Nikons Pro Staff series with the fixed 4 power, and parallax set to 50 yds. Most of the scopes I use have set parallaxes and I have never had any problems with them, so I don’t know if that is it or not. Seems like a 50 yd parallax wouldn’t make that big of a difference.

I will pull the scope and put one of my extra Lyman aperture sites on it and see what happens.

The thing that stinks though is that I was planning on taking this rifle out on a hunt Monday but I don’t think that is going to happen now. I was really looking forward to using this rifle on some deer this trip, but I will probably take my Remington 700. I do though, have another deer trip planned for the end of December, maybe by then I will have things ironed out with the 336 and I can take it then. We will see.

Safe Journeys,
Greebe

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree that you should eliminate the scope from the equation, but I don't think that is your problem. The scope itself anyway. Loose mounts maybe.
The reason I say this is that I did some extensive research before buying my Nikon ProStaff 4x32 Rimfire to put on the 444 I bought for my daughter. My concerns were exactly what you are outlining. I agree that no one makes a 4x32 that is worth its salt anymore. I was not too concerned about the parallax but before mounting it I set it up in the driveway and set the crosshairs on a lugnut of the neighbors car about 100 yards away and moved side to side and any crosshair movement was only at extreme angles.
My second concern was weather or not it could handle the recoil. I went so far as to call Nikon and ask them. They assured me that all of their scopes are constructed to the same internal standards as far as recoil is concerned and they would be very surprised to find that the scope could not handle it.
So I mounted it. Shooting factory Remingtons I would get all kinds of crazy groups and was almost convinced that Nikon lied to me. I was really frustrated until I realized that after three boxes of Remingtons that from box to box they grouped differently. This was last year. About a month ago I purchased a box of Hornady 265s and gave it a shot. I shot two groups that were under 1.5" and my best was a 3 shot cloverleaf. All this was at 100 yards.
I hope this long winded post helps. All I wanted to get across was that I don't think that it is the Nikon. I may be wrong though.

Ryan

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a Nikon 4X32 on my 35 Marlin shooting 35+P 200 grain bullets. There were no problems. But I have noticed about my 35 Marlin groups open up very quickly as the bore gets dirty. I don't know if this is normal, but I have to clean the bore every 20 shots to keep good accuracy. With a clean bore, it will shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. At 20 rounds, the group opens up to 4 inches. I firelapped the gun trying to smooth the bore. I thought smoothing the bore would cause less fouling and the groups would not open up as quickly. Firelapping helped with the cleaning, but the groups still open up. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Don't have a 35 , ,but my 30-30 don't like Rem ammo shoots shotgun pattern with it.... Winchester 170's have touched holes at 100 yds. so try different ammo.. I would double check to make sure the scope and mounts are staying tight, but I would say other factors are involved in it..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use that same Nikon scope. It was first on a Remington 760 pump in both 30-06 and 308. I also contacted Nikon about the scope holding up to the recoil. On another thread I posted a target that shows my 100 yd sight in using that scope. That target was shot at a measured 100 yds using fatory Rem 200 gr loads. So far the factory stuff shoots better groups than my reloads. Many folks here have had very good accuracy with the factory stuff in .35 Rem. That scope now resides on a 336 in 30-30 at this point the shooting has been around 50 yds and both gun and scope are performing well.

Check the mounts, check the bore etc. Parallax is much more noticeable with higher power scopes. Most people don't or can't notice it a 4X. Another thing about that though the click adjustments are the POA adjustments at the parallax setting or at least according to paper work that came with my Nikon scope. If you look at the bigger target on the above mentioned thread the upper two hits were the first shots. The lowest hit was the third, after making a reasonable adjustment based on adjustments made on other scopes sighting in. The POI moved almost exactly twice as much as expected.

Finally recheck the mounts. You sound pretty knowledgeable but checking over the simple stuff first is advisable before making wholesale changes. I have personally spent an embarassing amount of time and ammo sighting in a particular load/rifle/scope combo only to find my difficulty was an almost imperceptable movement of the scope in the mounts. The .35 I bought had a decent scope mounted on some of those horrible see through mounts. They were very slightly loose and obviously not very accurate.

Should the problem turn off to be that scope please keep us updated. Especially if you return it under warranty and such.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I very well might be an idiot.

I checked the rings on my scope and found that I didn’t tighten down the ring clamp at the base mount with a flat head screw driver. I just hand tightened them and went on to adjust the rest of the rings and scope position and forgot to come back to that.

I’m usually pretty anal about stuff like that but I think I was just too excited to get it out and shoot it that I overlooked that. That makes me feel really stupid…

Well I hope that will fix it, and I am guessing it probably will. I lucked out and got the day off, so I think I will try to test it out this afternoon and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for input.

Safe Journeys
Greebe

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The obivious is easy to miss... we all do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just got back from shooting my .35 rem, and the results were good.

I re-zeroed the rifle, and shooting in the same conditions as last time, and was able to group 2 inches at a 100 yds laying prone without a problem. All shots were fired with a cold barrel, which is easy when it is below freezing outside.

My old gal could use a little more tuning, but I ran out of sunlight fast and did what I could. Over all I am very happy with the results.

Thanks all, for pointing out the obvious to me without making me feel like to much of an idiot. Ha haha….

Safe Journeys
Greebe

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Glad it was something simple. How do you think most of us had an idea where to start..... :wink: Dont worry, I think we have all done it. So are you gona take it hunting??? Good luck on the hunt, we will be wanting to see pictures when you get back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I think I will go ahead and take it on my hunt Monday. I’m kind of taking a chance by taking it over my true and tried Remington 700 but I think it will do me good. I will have to change my hunting tactics a little as I will have to get closer, but I don’t think that will be a problem.

I am looking forward to seeing what the old .35rem 336 can do. Don’t know if I will see any deer or not but regardless I will be glad to care a lever on a hunt. My 1985G has spent a lot of time with me in the bush for protection but I never took it any hunts.

Safe Journeys
Greebe

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Just wait till you over tighten the barrel bands and looks like a shotgun pattern.. Yep I sure did do it.. :lol:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Good luck, Greebe.

I have a couple of scoped Rem. 700s ('06 & 35 whelen) that have earned my trust over many years. They get the job done! Deer, antelope, elk, mtn. lion. What more could I ask? But...

The hunt just feels different with the Marlin 336/35 Rem. in hand. To my eye the stubby, little 35 Rem. cartridge even looks ornery. For all the efficiency of the bolt guns the leverguns have an aura that just says "hunt" and they will finish the job if I do my part.

This winter I am fine tuning the sight setup and loads for a new-to-me 336A DL in 30-30. I like the way that longer barrel comes up compared tot he carbine.

Best wishes for a safe and memorable hunt. Keep us posted on the details.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Greebe said:

I checked the rings on my scope and found that I didn’t tighten down the ring clamp at the base mount with a flat head screw driver. I just hand tightened them and went on to adjust the rest of the rings and scope position and forgot to come back to that.

Safe Journeys
Greebe
Before I got this posting by you...your first posting brought back memories:
I was sighting a Remington VSSF, 308. Normally this is tack driver.
Have a nice $300 scope with Parallax adj but no matter what I did or the rangemaster did my groups were 2- 2.5 and 300 yards and I know damn well it can be better.

After a few boxes of ammo and countless bore scrubs, I packed up went home; at home I 'stewed'about this rifle trying to figure out how to send this 308 packing.

You see I to am a good shot but I prefere larger calibers and not the miniscule .20 cal.

A few days later while washing my gas guzzling 4x4, when I was hosing the undercarriage I thought did you check the pillar bedding screws.

I didn't remember. I turned off the hose and went to the safe and got out the rifle. I lifted the rifle out by the barrel. Then use the scope like a handle and I felt a little 'loosness'. I turned the rifle bottom up and check the screw with the proper screw head....THEY WERE TIGHT...

THE SCOPE....

I turned the rifle over wrapped my fingers around the barrel of the scope.
THE DARN SCOPE WAS AS LOOSE A POCKET CHANGE....DUH...DUH...

This was my first thought when I read about your problem...

Tis the season cause now I feel blessed that there is another 'idiot' like me out here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Greebe said:

Safe Journeys
Greebe
Before I got this posting by you...your first posting brought back memories:
I was sighting a Remington VSSF, 308. Normally this is tack driver.
Have a nice $300 scope with Parallax adj but no matter what I did or the rangemaster did my groups were 2- 2.5 and 300 yards and I know damn well it can be better.

After a few boxes of ammo and countless bore scrubs, I packed up went home; at home I 'stewed'about this rifle trying to figure out how to send this 308 packing.

You see I to am a good shot but I prefere larger calibers and not the miniscule .20 cal.

A few days later while washing my gas guzzling 4x4, when I was hosing the undercarriage I thought did you check the pillar bedding screws.

I didn't remember. I turned off the hose and went to the safe and got out the rifle. I lifted the rifle out by the barrel. Then use the scope like a handle and I felt a little 'loosness'. I turned the rifle bottom up and check the screw with the proper screw head....THEY WERE TIGHT...

THE SCOPE....

I turned the rifle over wrapped my fingers around the barrel of the scope.
THE DARN SCOPE WAS AS LOOSE A POCKET CHANGE....DUH...DUH...why it never recoiled off is beyond me...

This was my first thought when I read about your problem...

Tis the season cause now I feel blessed that there is another 'idiot' like me out here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts