Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well......I took Swany's and others advice and went cool and slow on my groups today at the range. I shot from a bench with the fore end held in hand rested on sand bag and butt in shoulder. I have removed the 'telescope' (6-24) I started with last week and put on my hunting Tasco World 1.5-4.5 with 3 screw rings.<BR><BR>Well.....without reservation........I am more than pleased....happy...ecstatic how the new Remlin performed with a little low power hunting scope on..........It also shot the cheaper PPU 150 and Herter 150 very well.....but the Winchester 150 was tops at 100 and 200 yds.<>

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good shooting, looks like you have a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Okay now go to Walmart and buy a decent one piece rifle rest that supports the butt and adjusts at the forend stock for up and down.
Glad your happy.:congrats:
T:biggrin: NY
WOW its a dime not a quarter great for a 100 yards.:marchmellow:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
:congrats:congrats on the good groups!!! and a 16" Marlin!!!

Doc

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Looks like your ready to put some meat in the freezer!!! Good shootin

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
As Townsend Whelen said; "Only accurate rifles are interesting." Looks like you got a real interesting rifle there!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quiet, could you tell us more about that last picture? Did a lot of groups horizontally string like that? Was that a later group where the barrel had heated up a bit?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Good shooting! :congrats: I suggest replacing the high rings with something better to move the scope closer to the bore and you will probably see even better long range accuracy.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Long ago story. Big boss came to West Texas. Local trooper who was a friend from days gone by, picked him up at the airport in a new Plymouth (ugh) cruiser. Boss asked the old hand how he liked the Plymouth. Old hand replied thusly. "Well, Homer, it is kind of like dating a prostitute. You may have the best woman in town, but you are ashamed to be seen with her. That's kind of like driving a
Plymouth!"

That resembles packing a (ugh) Remlin.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Long ago story. Big boss came to West Texas. Local trooper who was a friend from days gone by, picked him up at the airport in a new Plymouth (ugh) cruiser. Boss asked the old hand how he liked the Plymouth. Old hand replied thusly. "Well, Homer, it is kind of like dating a prostitute. You may have the best woman in town, but you are ashamed to be seen with her. That's kind of like driving a
Plymouth!"

That resembles packing a (ugh) Remlin.
Funny story. But what is wrong with dating a prostitute? The olden times cowboys married prostitute and was proud to have them too.

If a marlin design rifle made by Remington is all I can get I would own it proudly. The way I see it if not for Remington carrying the torch than who, Rossi? Or maybe made in Japan for $1200.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quiet, could you tell us more about that last picture? Did a lot of groups horizontally string like that? Was that a later group where the barrel had heated up a bit?

You are correct....end of run...warm barrel....only group that did that

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great looking rifle with the tallest rings I have ever seen on a marlin.
They are high...........very high..........cheek weld.........more like bottom of chin weld.......yikes!!!

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
quiet I like high rings and cheek weld goes out the window in the real world where in the bush and fast moving game is the concern. Have you every tried getting a cheek weld with a winter coat on and a deer not waiting for you to get that exact cheek weld? Medium to high rings work for me and if they work for you go with it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting point of discussion.............

quiet I like high rings and cheek weld goes out the window in the real world where in the bush and fast moving game is the concern. Have you every tried getting a cheek weld with a winter coat on and a deer not waiting for you to get that exact cheek weld? Medium to high rings work for me and if they work for you go with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.