Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know -- I am gonna start reloading soon and hope to just shoot hard cast; but I just put the scope on this iron and had this ammo thru some other swappin deal/

so you can see RR1 & RR2 - one of the holes in RR1 shows again in RR2 because the little cover dot flew off when I centered the RR2. Casing for scale

any way there it is: in the pictures

I am not gonna say I am an awesome shot -- but I swear I don't think I pulled 2 shots low and to the left that far. I am just wondering how consistent this ammo really is.

what has anyone else found with this ammo?

otherwise - I'd say I could hit a deer at 100 or 150 yards easy....if I can figure out that low shot .....

comments welcome

RR1-4shot.jpg RR2-5shot.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
The .30-30 LE usually gives me 2"-3" groups at 200 yds. Alot of that is me though.

The 1st target with the 7/16" diagonal string is 100 yds, the others are 200 yds, all Hornady .30-30 160 FTX.

Photo0253Hornady100.jpg
Photo0253Hornady200.jpg
Hornady FTX 200 yd 10-13-2012.jpg
Photo0262.jpg

Yeah, I know. Looks like I may need to move a couple clicks left, My other ammo shoots on center, so I haven't decided to make the adjustment yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honrady 45-70 325 grn FTX? I've fired a lot of these and haven't noticed a wild array of "off" rounds...no more than usual for me, anyway.

One thing about reloading the FTX shell, they are shorter than standard 45-70 shells. Once I figured out my overall length was short, and that the explosion of powder would be confined to a smaller area than a standard 45-70 shell, I was very concerned. I was worried the short round wouldn't chamber correctly and the smaller cavity would create an overpressure situation. I went to a friend who is an expert and he spent some time calculating everything. In the end, he believed I'd be OK...but had no data to indicate anyone's results using my exact combination of load, bullet, and shell.

I fired 350 grn Lasercast flat nose hard cast bullets, CCI primers, and IMR 4064 powder in the Hornady FTX shells. I don't want to tell the powder amount because there is no load chart I'm aware of to back up my charges. I will say I used the low range powder measure for that powder but a different brand bullet which was less than 350 grns. I hope you understand, but I'd feel bad if you used my data and blew up your gun.

The bottom line is they chambered and fired fine. But if you are trying to experiment and change different variables, I recommend not using the Hornady FTW round due to the slightly shorter length and lack of specific load data. Start with a standard length 45-70 and stay within tried and true load data.

I won't load the Hornadys again. I bought them because the were less expensive than other store bought rounds, and I wanted the brass. After learning there is no load data for them, I've ordered 100 Starlines. I took a well educated chance, but a chance none the less, by experimenting like I did. That would be highly NOT recommended for the beginner reloader.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi guys, just a quick response to Utah CUCV's statement. If you go on Hornady's website they give load data for the Gummy-nose bullets. As a matter of fact they show a max load that is 100 or so fps faster than the factory loads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, just a quick response to Utah CUCV's statement. If you go on Hornady's website they give load data for the Gummy-nose bullets. As a matter of fact they show a max load that is 100 or so fps faster than the factory loads.

Can you link to the load data ??

jut curious -- I plan on loading hard cast in the future - not sure what I will do with the Horady brass but maybe possibly use it to load the same hornady bullet

·
Registered
227 Posts
jut curious -- I plan on loading hard cast in the future - not sure what I will do with the Horady brass but maybe possibly use it to load the same hornady bullet
Use your short brass for Trail Boss plinking loads. Sort of a .45/60 load......or a .45 Special.

Don't get rid of the brass - if you don't want it, somebody will take it for a low price, or free ;)

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I sent some of my first boolits (the front driving band kept it from chambering in 2.095 brass) to 1895Gunner and he put them into some shorter hornady brass and they shot great for him, Check whit him on what powder and grains he used so you can shoot some cast in those short brass you have. I have 400 pieces of the hornady (well most are still full with the gummy tips but I am keeping them and will work up loads for my cast boolits in them.

Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts