Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Range Report: Easiest load development?!

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Officer29 
#1 · (Edited)
Range and hunt Report: Easiest load development?!

I took some new homeloads to the 100m range today: Sierra Prohunter 300gr over various charge weights of DO63 (AA1680 in the USA). I have been using cast until now but wanted to see what the Remlin GSBL can do with jacketed.

I had other guns to shoot and by the time I got round to shooting my Marlin GSBL, the range was soon to close so I only had time to fire the lowest charge.

It shot really well at 110yds so I just zero'd it (I'd made up extra of the lowest charge in case I wasn't on paper) and called it a day!

I used the last few minutes of range time to blat off 5 rounds standing, rapid at 110yds to use-up remaining cast 460gr loads. I was quite pleased with the group considering it was plinking! As you'd expect, impact point was considerably lower than the 300gr PH load (I was aiming at the centre of the black circle.)

I'm loving this GSBL!

EDIT/UPDATE:

The load is now field-tested- it performed very nicely. Deer dropped after short dead-run (no tracking needed). Meat damage acceptable.

The gun is a delight for this sort of close range hunting (this young buck was taken at 60yds)

GSBL on sticks:

Deer down:

See less See more
#7 ·
I just got back from the range yesterday and was trying to develop some loads for my guide gun. I had loaded up a ladder with 300 gr barnes tsx bullets using a1680 powder. The fireball coming out of the end of the barrel was impressive with much noise as well. It also disturbed my chrono readings. This was at the low end of my ladder of loads so I quit after 3 shots. Maybe the stuff you get overseas is a bit different or your rifle has a much longer barrel, but I would have to say a1680 is not a good fit out of a 18.5” guide gun.

#10 ·
The load is now field-tested- it performed very nicely. Deer dropped after short dead-run (no tracking needed). Meat damage acceptable.

The gun is a delight for this sort of close range hunting (this young buck was taken at 60yds)

GSBL on sticks:

Deer down:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.