Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoyable day at KoKo Head shooting complex under the bright Hawaiian sun. Rung out my 94 Marlin a little bit more.
Marlin 1894 (44 Mag rebarrelled)in 357x44 Bain & Davis, 18 inch barrel(New 357 Mag. Micro Groove barrel rechambered) and 4x scope for accuracy shooting
Texas headstamp Nickel plated 44 mag brass reformed
Winchester LP primer
Chronograph 10 ft. from muzzle
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED LOAD DATA.

Pwdr. Pwdr Wgt.... Bullet .........Avg Vel. ...Group

Win. 296 14 Gr. 170 Gold Dot FP. 1382... .....1.2
......." ....15 ................" .............1478 ........1.4
......." ....16 ................" .............1557 ........1.2
......." ....17................ " .............1632 ........1.7

Lil Gun ..14 .....180 gr. XTP HP .....1524 ....0.75
.........." 15 ............." ..................1625 ......1.0
.........." 16 ............." ..................1713.......0.5
.........." 14...... 170 gr GD FP .......1568 ......1.1
.........." 15 ............" ...................1650...... 1.1
.........." 16 ............" ...................1754...... 1.3
Win. 296..14....... 180 gr. XTP HP..... ? ......0.75
............" 15............. "................. 1460 .....1.0
............" 16 ............."................. 1537.....0.65

Win. 296. 23....... 125 gr. JHP......... 2249....0.75

It seems to like the 180 gr. XTP HP
Should the 180 XTP HP expand reliably at 1500 to 1700 fps, looks like that might be my bullet for the White Tails back home, most of the time shots are 20 to 125 yds where I hunt.
Looks like Brockmans did a fine job on this one.
I justified the building of this rifle with the wife as a deer rifle for my son for when he gets old enough to hunt with me but he may have a problem getting it away from me.
Just may have to build him something else. Now let me see......

Steve E.......

Post Extras

G

·
I assume you will hunt with it ? Well if you do get a box of the Nosler 180gr Partition Gold bullets. Used them in 357 MAX and have some loaded for my 1894CP (357mag) :D

G

·
I believe I'll stick with the 180 Gr. XTP-HP's for the accuracy and the reputation of these on Deer sized game. I'll load up some of the Rem. 125 gr Semi Jacketed Hollowpoints for a coy dog hunt.

Steve E.....

·
Registered
688 Posts
I get velocities like those from my .357 Mag and expected Max velocities from the B&D (which I've been looking at as a "Max" in the 1894). I use Lil'Gun and expect that either the 180 XTP or 180 Rem SJHP would do well in these guns. Have you tried Lil'Gun?

G

·
Got some Lil Gun in the above data. It is not at max in the carbine(Lil Gun) but I don't want to go much higher as it is very accurate and the speed is fine for me right now.

Steve E.........

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry, I missed it. :oops:

The two cases having very similar capacities, and based on my experience with the .357 Max and Lil'Gun, I'd have tried up to 21 gr. Lil'Gun for over 2000 fps with the 180 XTP. Might have to go ahead and try this conversion myself! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might try to push it up a little more the next time at the range. I really like that Lil Gun it is fantastic in my Max Encore barrel and does great in the Marlin too. It is fun to take the Marlin to the range and put a couple of empty cases on the side of the shooting bench or on the floor and watch people stop and look at them. Most of them can't help but ask about them. Now I have to find a Tang Sight that I won't have to drill a hole in my serial# on the tang to mount.

Steve E........

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are dead set on a a tang sight, you may not have to look as far as you think. I have a Lyman No. 2 on my Cowboy, and although I could drill/tap the tang since my serial is on the receiver, it is mounted with only the existing buttstock screw. It's very secure due to the matching radius of the tang and sight base. I have had mine mounted this way for over a year with no problems. Other brands might work this way as well, but I haven't tried them. However, if you haven't tried a marlin with a tang sight, I would try to find one to look at. It's not the most ergonomic solution. I love mine, but I use it mostly for cowboy action shooting, and don't grip the stock with my thumb. Good luck.

G

·
I like the Tang Sight on my Rolling Block and my Henry but haven't ever had or shot one on an 1894 Marlin. Maybe I'll see if anyone over here has one before I buy one. Thanks for the info.

Steve E.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts