Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I took my Lady to the outdoor range at Osceola National Forest for some time on the bench. We shoot handguns weekly at the indoor range but this was her first time with a rifle. For fun I brought a couple of Marlins I knew she would like including "Bertha", my 45-70 SBR (https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/572407-stainless-45-70-sbr-project.html) and "Bubba", a 1894CSS I refurbished a couple of years ago (https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/506266-resurrecting-bubba-s-stainless-1894css.html). We went early to beat the heat as well as any other shooters that might distract a novice with louder guns. Other than a couple of guys cleaning up we had the place to ourself which was perfect.

After a brief safety review she started with the 357 using various handholds. As expected, she fell in love with the gun and was able to print some decent 50 yard groups for a first timer. She wasn't sure about the 45-70 at first but after shooting it with subsonic ammo said the recoil is more of a shove than the kick she expected. Altogether it was a fun trip and something she has talked about doing again all week. Next time I think we will take the same guns but focus on using open sights instead. I'm planning to take my M1 Garand before then but that's a story for another time..

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I broke my daughter in using a 336 Cowboy in 30-30. Let her take it out to hunt deer with. Even after I built up her 300 Savage bolt action I took enough grief from her and her mother so that now the rifle is called "Hers". Just thought I would throw that out for what its worth.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
25,777 Posts
John, judging by her grin, she was having a great time and is hooked! She can shoot well to boot.

I like the range, what was the temp/humidity?

Jack

Reactions: Kendawg and Ret_Eng

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
please, teach her to insert the ammo in the tube with her right hand, so she'll know for sure that levers are for lefties
They went well with the old Colt Peacemaker that was left handed also. Loading gate on right side so that it was best to switch to the left hand to reload it.

DEP

·
Registered
615 Posts
Might want to ease her into the Garand. That thing will push her around pretty good!

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
Looks like she was having a good time! Congrats to you both!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Nice choice of shooting partners. You're starting off great!

One thing....

Don't take anything that will frighten her with it's recoil.

No 12g slug rounds.
No 7mm Rem Mag.
No 44 mag in a Scandium frame...

If she gets hurt or even off put by a heavy recoll, you could lose her to shooting.

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
Simply outstanding John! :party:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts