Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
range day today with the Marlin 375

say what you will about Kali .... but the consistently nice weather is why I'm dumb enough to stay. 75 degrees, cloudless skies, a tiny breeze.

I fixed my car last week (long 36 year story) and needed a road test. So this morning at 0645 I was on the road/freeway to Burro Canyon:
www.burrocanyon.com

Put the target stand & bowling pin at 100 yards and blasted away with the Marlin 375. Every time I shoot it, I am amazed at how much I like it. If I pay close attention to good shooting form, every shot stays inside a 6" Shoot-N-C target. I do have a scope on it, very very necessary for my far-sighted vision.

Noted also the performance difference between 2 types of ammo. My "regular" ammo has been reloads prepared for me by Richard The Owner of Ten-X Ammo, and my scope is sighted-in for it. 220-gr Hornady bullet, 36.0 gr of RL-7 powder, magnum primer. Very accurate. Richard did a chronograph check: 2,200 fps. Three years ago he loaded up 42 boxes for me. Today I shot the last box.

SO, when I was loading up the car last night and discovered I had only 1 box of the Ten-X ammo, I grabbed 2 boxes of my other favorite ammo: Wisconsin Cartridge. I had been using this prior to getting the Ten-X.
The WC website shows the ammo at 1,975 fps, and the performance today showed the difference because the WC ammo shot way low & a little to the right. Nice grouping though.

A great day at the range !!

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Re: range day today with the Marlin 375

Sounds like an excellent day at the range! I like the 444's little brother, the 375/38-55 cartridge is a good little powerhouse in it's own right. DP

·
Registered
329 Posts

375Win said:
... the difference because the WC ammo shot way low & a little to the right. Nice grouping though.
My Dad's M375 shoots the 220gr almost 2 feet low at 100yds when sighted in for the 200gr bullet. That is ballistically impossible, I know, but there it is. Both rounds group well, but hit in different spots. Can't explain it.

·
Registered
68 Posts

It sounds like a good day and a good time to call your ammo reloading man .

Jack

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

I envy you...we just got a bunch more snow after finally seeing a little bare grass from our last mini blizzard...all of my safe prisoners are begging to be let free...I have a bunch of new heavy 38-55 Buffalo Bore ammo that needs to be tested

·
Premium Member
39 Posts

Is Winchester the only source of brass?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

Starline also makes brass in 38-55 short that will work in most 375's without trimming, nothing wrong with the Winchester brass. I see the Win. brass at gun shows quite often. DP

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts

Just took ownership of a .375 Marlin purchased from a member on this site. I put a Weaver Classic V Series 1-3 X 20 on it night before last and took it to the range yesterday. Nice rig - the small, light scope doesn't interfere with the speed and balance of the Marlin. I sighted it in using Winchester 200 gr. Shot well, nominal recoil. That evening, 220 gr. ammo showed up from Wisconsin Cartridge.

I plan to take the .375 to the ranch this weekend and try to pop a hog with it. I'll try some 220 gr. while I'm there to determine change in point of impact vs 200 gr. Win. and report back.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Congrats !!!!

my M375 very much likes the 220-gr Winconsin ammo.

Cheers,

Carl

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts

Frodo said:
My Dad's M375 shoots the 220gr almost 2 feet low at 100yds when sighted in for the 200gr bullet. That is ballistically impossible, I know, but there it is. Both rounds group well, but hit in different spots. Can't explain it.
Actually it's not ballistically impossible. Back in the 50's we found changing the bullet from one mfg to another could change the point of impact significantly. Not always, but could, so what you've observed comes as no surprise to me. I've also observed changes in bullet weight with no significant change in bullet point of impact, so no guarantees. That is what makes it so important that your gun be sighted in for the ammo being used.

I totally agree, a fine day at the range!!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts

I made it to the ranch with my Marlin 375 this weekend. The rifle is sighted in for winchester 200 gr. I set up a target (actually an empty twelve pack beer carton) at about 50 yds. and fired some Wisconsin 220 gr. rounds. While conditions weren't perfect (card table, lawn chair , duffle bag rest) they were good enough to indicate change in point of impact for my rifle is about 2 inches at the 4 o'clock position.

Of other interest is that I made a running shot on a 150 lb. pig at about 40 yds. with the 375. The 200 grain Win. bullet struck behind the shoulder and there was a large splash of blood visible on impact as the bullet hit. I walked to where I shot the pig and there was a lot of blood and chunks of lung. The blood trail was massive - as if someone was just walking through the brush with a bucket of blood pouring and they walked along. The hog went about 40 yds. and piled up under a log. When I found it it was laying on the side I shot (entrance). While there was massive blood surrounding the carcass. there was none to be seen on the side showing. There was no exit. I rolled the animal over and the entrance was obvious.

I was amazed that the bullet did not exit. Also, upon impact, blood and lung tissue was forced (spewed) out of the entrance hole. Odd if you ask me.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

Sounds like the 200 gr bullet is soft for that speed. Can't argue with dead, but would hate to have an animal run off and suffer. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

To quote DPE....cant argue with dead!!!...what that tells me is if you need to stretch a shot to the max...the bullet will still reliably expand instead of just piercing through

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts

I suppose the bullet is ok for deer and other "soft" targets. Those pigs are dense with thick hides and heavy bones. Not sure I would want to use it on black bear either. I've hit them with more powerful rounds and watched them get up and run. Never lost one but I've had to trail a couple - one shot with a 45-70 and another with a .376 Steyr. They didn't go far but they took the hit and kept going.

Hunted black bear in BC with a .338 ultramag. Those bear dropped at the shot and never moved. ;D

I'll try the Wisconsin rounds on a pig or two and compare.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

The 375 is a round that would benefit so much with a heavier and tougher constructed bullet with a pointy gummy tip maybe ..and a factory developed powder charge loaded with new generation lever powders that will push 240-250grain lead core as fast as we are lucky to get a 200grain currently available type....or a 210-215grain gilding metal at say 2300fps...now that kind of power and penetration would get the 375Win noticed big time!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts