Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the .357 to range with a 20kt tail wind off the bay. I have installed a Bushnell 1.5x4.5 and got it within minute of deer today. Shot Am Eag 158g JSP at 100. Got a good cluster just southwest of center. Am determined to get a WT with it this fall. Also picked up a 1970 Ruger .357 SA 6 and it was fun at 15 yds.
Come end of Sept., a scheduled pig hunt will be a tune up for the fall.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Hey texjam, nice pair you got there!! I have a 1979 1894C and a 1999 1894CBL. Shoot cast bullets in mine and get to shoot more for less $$.
When I'm out and about with my 1894C's, I carry either a 1976 Ruger Security Six which I tuned for competition, or a S&W 19-4 I bought used
and can't determine it's birthdate. Both sixguns shoot the same loads that the rifles do so I don't have to worry about getting all befuddled loading em as I only carry one load with me when I'm carrying both rifle and handgun.
358 Win

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hoping to get my 357 out next month & get it ready for my son for TX deer season as well.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Very nice!!!! If I ever hit the lottery I want a pair just like that, and then a matching set in .45 colt. ;D

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just bought a 1894C last week. I had just 2 days to a Cowboy Silhouette match. This 30 yr old carbine has microgroove rifling, so I knew I'd have to keep my handloads with cast bullets slow. But with only 2 days before the match, where to start? Well I checked the manual for a starting load with the powder I had on hand. 2.8 gr of bullseye under a 158gr cast bullet. O.K. so I load 20 and head for the range. The first loads I tried were for my hand gun, and a little too fast for the microgroove barrel, but then WOW!, the "starting" load was a nice surprise. The first three are 2-3" at 50 yds with the open sights ! Back to the bench and load enough for the match, plus extras because I didn't get to shoot any at 100 yds.
At the match I start at rams, the carbine goes "BANG", wait for it....... ding, and I knock over the frist ram! I love this ultalight loading! I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with it ! It's a keeper.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The trick to microgroove and cast bullets is to have your bullets be .001 to .002 larger than groove diameter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts