Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and just got a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. What are your thoughts on the Ranch Dog 350Gr RNFP/GC for a hunting bullet?

Or am I just better off with a jacketed bullet for hunting?

Thank You one and all.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
I think we all over think this thing a bit for deer. If you're after something else, perhaps a little planning, but 1100-2100fps and a 300 to 400gr. slug is gonna hurt!

that 350gr. slug is powerful if a good load is worked up. It takes more effort, but you end up with a nearly endless supply of bullets with some lead and effort. I like casting and do it often. I'm going hunting here in 3 days and am using lead I cast. Its a personal choice. It works well. His design is great. It does the job on anything you'd probably want to kill.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you going to hunt this time of year with a 45-70?

Oh Wait there are Pigs out there lol. :). The 45-70 should work on those armored plated Pigs I would think lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Even a light, accurate load is way more than a 44 Mag.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I shot this buck two seasons ago with a 350 grain RD Boolit. Powder was Rx7 muzzle velocity was aroun 1800fps.

The buck was poorly hit. Entry was a little high and behind the left shoulder. I was in a tree stand also shooting down hill. He was quartering towards me. I thought he was broadside. Anyway the boolit took out two ribs and a single lung. Exited on the right ham. He bucked up and just stood there until he feel. At 50 yards I could see the entry wound when he bucked up. He lost no blood except what youu see around the entry wound. I suspect the heart stopped when the boolit hit him.

About the Ranch Dog boolits I would say they work real well. They also provide a very sucure mold that is easy to cast and get good results especially in a Marlin rifle.

Corbi

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site from Bundaberg, Australia. I have recently started casting for both of Ranchdog's molds and they cast very well and shoot just as good. I normaly use a lot of Hornady 350gr FP but I am leaning to use more and more of ranchdog's cast bullets.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Corbi, that is a really nice buck. Can I use that image on my TLC460-350-RF product page?

Thanks for your kind words fellows! All I can add is that this is only second to my 30-30 Win mold in popularity. I always have an order being cut at Lee. It was designed specifically for the 1895G.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
Corbi, that is a really nice buck. Can I use that image on my TLC460-350-RF product page?

Thanks for your kind words fellows! All I can add is that this is only second to my 30-30 Win mold in popularity. I always have an order being cut at Lee. It was designed specifically for the 1895G.
Absolutely.

Thanks for asking.

Corbi

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took a nice 3x2 Blacktail(east coast count would be 7pt) last year with this bullet. I was using my contender carbine. the shot was the longest I have ever taken on a blacktail at 75 yrds. I hit the buck near the front of shoulder and it exited right below the back straps in front of the hindquaters. Luckly it only skimmed the stomach. The deer made one hop and was dead. So the bullet went almost the length of the deer and exited This is the first deer I have killed with a Cast Boolet. I was impressed by the fact there was very little bloodshot meat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts