Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... I'd give it a solid 70-75% with very decent furniture and only minor pitting and rust on the outside, top back chamber area of the barrel just in front of the receiver ... you know, those hard to get little places for the uninformed flyby temporary Marlin owner that never appreciated what he had.

Bore looked good though. Nice JM stamp, no cross bolt saftey, sights are solid, you know the deal.

After-market cheap glass and mount but a Marlin offset trigger extension and a fairly decent old leather sling that I kind of like.

He wants $200.00 for the thing ... I sure am tempted but I need another 336 in 30-30 like a need a hole in the head.

Whatta ya think?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Get it. Run to him cash in hand. if I was there I would be running over you to get there first. You can always sell it later.
Ask yourself do you have that model?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Go for the hole in the head! Buy it. Use it. Then sell for a profit if you don't like it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Gallo, let me know where you want the hole:questionmark: You can never have TOO MANY rifles! They're tools of the trade. Buy it and/or keep it or sell it. Lets see some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
The old style Marlin hammer extensions sell for $30.00/$40.00. Most any old cheap scope is worth $15.00/$20.00 and the bare gun could bring $300.00. In effect, the seller is giving you a sling and $150.00 when the dealin's done. Marlin's aren't being made anymore, price on the old ones is inching up, a Zipper barrel on Gunbroker just sold for $515.00. The barrel, nothing else, a complete Zipper went for around eleven hundred. In all honesty, if I came across a deal like this I would buy it, and I have three 336RC's with no purpose other than I wanted 'em.

Reactions: brewster7

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Gallo, let me know where you want the hole:questionmark: You can never have TOO MANY rifles! They're tools of the trade. Buy it! Lets see some pics.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
At $200 I would buy them all day long!!!!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
What they all said!!! DP

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I recently found a 1978 336 in 30-30 at the candy store for $250. The blueing and the furniture were well worn, but not rusted or pitted with an action that was still tight. The trigger felt really good to. I didn't have to think twice on that one.... put it on lay away on the spot.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
About a month ago a guy advertised "The uglist gun ever on GunBroker". It was a mid 70's 336. The next couple of days went by and nobody bid....this thing was buttugly, rusted, pitted but it would cycle a shell he claimed. I put up like a $77 bid and forgot about it. A week or so later I noticed someone paid $240 something for it. Is the direction our guns are going or could this be one of those "fools and his money stories"?

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah guys, you know ... y'all are probably right although the wife is gonna skin me alive. I'm gonna have to sneak it in somehow, probably down my pants leg and just tell her I am happy to see her, although I got busted the last time I tried that. I'm gonna call him in the morning and tell him I want it. Darnit, I knew better than to post this question here.

hey GP, if you decide you don't want it, PM me with the info. I'm looking for a project.
He's actually got an older one that would be a better fixer-upper for you that you can probably get much cheaper from him - I'm talking like a hunsky and a half. If I was looking for a fixer-upper it is the one I would go for. The metal is good but some jack leg chopped the lop and then they evidently tried putting a sling swivel in the forearm in two different places and completey destroyed the forearm for the most part. I'll take a picture of it while I am there if you are interested.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hey man just go for it',,, think i stumbled in to a deal yall tell me what yall think i got a kel tec 380 two months a go from a friend needing money i felt like i paid a bit much for it but i was helping a friend i alredy had a 380 ruger lcp i gave him 200 $ my good deed was rewarded i traded it to my brother in law for a 1965 mod 36 g its the same codition as the 336 mentioned in this post i think i came out ahead also got 25 round of win pp 150 gr',, bore looks good and it cycles the win ammo good havent shot it has weaver rings and bases also hammer spur they only made 5093 of em according to one source love the short mag tube' do i have something rare ?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sounds like you are gonna buy it, so not much I can add.

As genuine Marlin parts get more scarce, the price of .30-30 components will get higher and higher. Chances are you could part that Marlin out right now and cover the asking price. If you've checked eBay for stocks alone, the selling prices are amazing for good wood.

Sounds like a winner to me from every angle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts