Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After my firing pin spring broke on my Remington 870 and I went to Midway to buy one, I saw that the Ramline stocks were on sale for the 336 again, so I ordered one. I've seen some nice paint jobs on the internet that people have done, so I wondered about how to do a nice gray, maybe a camo pattern of some kind. Well, I stumbled onto the gray Valspar Stone finish. It looked cool, different, good contrast with the blued finish on the gun, and gives a nice texture for grip.

I just got the first coat on today.

I have the part where the band goes masked off on the forend so it doesn't mess up the fit.
I had to do a lot of sanding in this area to get that band on when I test fit it before the paint.

All in all, I'm happy. The Stone finish is not made for heavy wear usage, so I'm going to give it some good coats of matte sealer that I picked up too.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Put her together and let's see the results. I hope your rear ring fits over that painted forearm.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
It looks very nice, I would like to see the finished stock and rifle put together.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've painted several stocks with this stuff. If you baby the stock until all of the "new paint" smell goes away -- and this takes several weeks -- it cures and actually becomes very durable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pisgah said:
I've painted several stocks with this stuff. If you baby the stock until all of the "new paint" smell goes away -- and this takes several weeks -- it cures and actually becomes very durable.
Thanks. Maybe I'll do another coat of the stone, then I'll do multiple coats of matte clear for some protection when this dries.

I'm usually very impatient and messy with spraypaint, but I took my time, using careful strokes, kept the spray moving. The little snap-on spray grip thing helped a lot. To hold the parts up for painting, I used 2 sticks duct-taped to a sawhorse in my backyard, put some duct tape on the end of one, sticky-side-out, and pressed the forend on. The buttstock has the rear plate removed, and it's hollow, so I just put that over the other stick. and the whole thing covered with a plastic dropcloth to shoot on the stone paint.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
How do you keep that stock from "sandpapering" your cheek during recoil? Are you going to sand that part smooth? I use a slip on neoprene cartridge holder for my Brown Precision synthetic stock on my .35 Whelen Improved. It works well, and keeps that "cold stock to the cheek" factor down in winter!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
preacher said:
How do you keep that stock from "sandpapering" your cheek during recoil? Are you going to sand that part smooth? I use a slip on neoprene cartridge holder for my Brown Precision synthetic stock on my .35 Whelen Improved. It works well, and keeps that "cold stock to the cheek" factor down in winter!
Excellent question. I have an Allen nylon catridge buttcuff thing that will go on the buttstock so I don't sandblast my face :) But I'll try it without it to see how aggressive it is and sandpaper it down if neccessary. Actually now that you mention it, I may sand it a little to smooth the comb before I spray on the clear. Thanks for bringing this up.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Whatever trips your trigger...... ;)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
When you are cleaning out your deer don't set the gun on a big rock you might forget it . ;D That stuff is pretty tough I painted a door with it is holds good. Don't forget pics of the finished gun.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
There is also a spray on paint called "Zolatone" that comes in various fleck colors like that.
It is really tuff and wears like iron. You can find it on the web.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I hate to bring a downer to this thread, but I think, from what I've seen so far, that this stock idea is a horror. I just don't think that Marlins should look like that. There's no offense meant; it's just one man's opinion. I've used Ram-Line stocks myself, but only on bolt action rifles where they, somehow, seem more appropriate. That may sound inconsistent, but that's what I think.

It's your rifle, and you can do what you want with it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think it looks cool. Its not like he painted fleck-stone on top of fancy walnut. Its a plastic ram-line & if textured paint makes it more effective, I'm all for it.....

.....Not that it matters what I think. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
You've turned a cheap plastic Ramline stock into an attractive custom stock.

Great looking stock. With the textured finish and weather imperviability it is very practical for hunting too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am anxious to see the finished product myself. Have you thought about putting a matt black duracoat finish on the steel?

I did a similar project on a 10/22 stock. Picked up a beater at a pawn shop...steel wooled the piting out...sandpapered & steamed the beat up wooden stock then shot it two-toned with Rustoleum textured...base color is dark rust, and then som elight stripes of grey. Turned out pretty good. I'll try to post some pics, but they may be cell phone quality.

Back on trak!! I love the 336!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm anxious to see the finished project, too. It may be fugly as heck or really cool lookin. Who knows?

McBuk: I'd love to see pics of your 10/22, even if they aren't great quality. I'm trying to picture these things in my head, and my head ain't workin' too well, lol!

Oh, and I love your avatar! "Give him a sedagive???!!!!" Hehehehe!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Test fit before clearcoat (sans front sight and rear band not fully pressed on)

I'm pretty pleased. This is turning out better than I had hoped. The finish isn't rough at all, kind of mildly pebbled. It's still not 100% cured, it's a bit tacky, so I'm going to let it sit for awhile longer before doing the finishing clearcoat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brian in FL said:
I hate to bring a downer to this thread, but I think, from what I've seen so far, that this stock idea is a horror. I just don't think that Marlins should look like that. There's no offense meant; it's just one man's opinion. I've used Ram-Line stocks myself, but only on bolt action rifles where they, somehow, seem more appropriate. That may sound inconsistent, but that's what I think.

It's your rifle, and you can do what you want with it.
No problem, Brian. I myself love the look of the wooden stock on the 336. The original was cracked and unrepairable and I struggled with it for awhile. I didn't want to try to get another wooden one and try to fit it because I knew it wouldn't look or feel or "BE" the original stock, so I went in totally the other direction. No offense taken. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
McBuck said:
...Have you thought about putting a matt black duracoat finish on the steel?...
Dude, that's a fantastic idea. I've seen a few online and they look great with that finish.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Very impressive. ;D ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts