Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Marlin 1894ch .357mag to the range today. I got if from Big 5 in s. CA. I have never had a rifle w/ so many sharp edges. I plan on melting some of those down and rebluing those spots, mostlyl the lever and hammer spur. I really like it though; the finish was well matched soft wood but too light for my taste so I steel wooled it and forgot that Marlin puts that tough satin finish on it so it looked hazy but I stained it w/ some alcohol based stain that makes it look nice and dark. Well since it was a soft wood and got a bit wet, even though I wiped it down I noticed that at the buttstock where it meets the plastic buttpad some water got under there and started to raise up so I took the buttpad off and saw the white PINE looking wood under the finish which was exposed to the moisture. Is it a good idea to wax or seal that area to prevent this from happening in the future? I will try to post pictures when I get a chance. This thing is very accurate. I was shooting close so at 15 yards out of the box it printed right on w/ 125 gr .357. I'd imagine .38 spl will print lower. At 50 yards I raised the ramp up to about half way and it was dead on w/ 1-1.5" groups most touching. beyond this I cannot see the target very well w/ the factory sights, I may put on a glow type front and williams peep on the rear, planning on the williams fp 336. hope I get the right one and it top mounts okay. In the mean time I will put an old scope on it and see how it prints w/ that. Plan on using it as a javelina, coyote, and possibly a deer rifle.
By the way does anyone make a replacement synthetic camo stock set for this? I thought I saw something on Cabelas but dont see it anymore

1 - 1 of 1 Posts