Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shopping around for a new sharpening stone and maybe a strop since I've never owned one.
Well after seeing what seems to me like some pretty absorbent prices, I remembered a piece of leather that's been setting around basically getting in my way on my work bench for a couple years.
Found a left over scrap of a Cedar fence board, and between the scrap of leather and the scrap of Ceder, this is what I came up with.

It's 2" wide and about 4 1/2" long. Should be just about right for the smaller knives that I prefer.
I took it out of the clamp fro a quick pic, but it'll stay clamped overnight to make sure the adhesive bonds well. Then A little more sanding while I'm on a planned camping trip next week (good campfire therapy) and a little Boiled Linseed Oil.
Sooooo, anywhooo, what abrasive are you "stroppers" out there using?
I've read everything from the dust from an Arkansas stone to all kinds of elaborate polishing compounds.
I have some white dressing for my polishing wheel that might work, but I really don't have a clue, other than to say that it's doubtful that I'll pay what they want for some of the magical Green polishing stuff out there.

Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie that's some very nice work, I've seen a few like that before.....smile. I just happen to have exactly what you're looking for my friend. I have another old friend, his name is Clarence and like you and I, Clarence and I have a great deal in common. I also love to sit and listen to his stories about the old days around here. Like you and I, Clarence loves to sharpen knives, shoot, fish, and in his younger days hunt as well. I was talking with Clarence one day, we meet in the back room of my buddy's gun shop, and mentioned to him that I would love to be able to strop my knife after I'm finished with it on the stones. The next time I ran into old Clarence he handed my an old razor strop and a small plastic box containing a cylindrical piece of rouge with which to treat the strop. His only request was to show it to him when I'm done with it. The strop and the rouge have both been sitting in my storage closet for a very long time and it's almost time for them to come out. I would gladly split my rouge supply with you my friend, it's only a small piece but should last for a very long time....smile. Oh yes, I almost forgot, Clarence is a former Marine who fought in WWII and has COPD, I hope he stays around for quite a while, there's more stories for him to tell. He's a 45-70 man too....grin.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MontanaMan said:
Charlie that's some very nice work, I've seen a few like that before.....smile.
Yea,,, I got the idea of the handle from one I saw somewhere on the Internet. Hope I don't get busted for copy-right infringement. :)

If you make it over to the Clearwater this year, stick a little piece of that rough in your pocket. In the mean while I'll see what I can come up with. In my mind, just about any of the bars of compound that work on a buffing wheel should adhere to the leather surface too. I think the red rough is less abrasive than the white that I have on hand, so I'll poke around here locally, and see if I can find some.
Like I said earlier, "I'd rather not pay for a one or two pound bar" (plus shipping) if I don't have to.I'm sure something will come up though, it always does if you're patient. I've still got my sharpening steel to finish an edge with in the interim, but all the talk about strops has spiked my interest.

BTW,,, thanks for mentioning Chapi's thread and link to the sharpening stone supplier. I had already looked at that site's wares, but reading Chapi's comments closed the deal for me. I ordered the same 6" Med/Fine combo yesterday. (Thanks Chapi).

More rain here all week. Don't know if I'm ever gonna get to do some camping and try out that new Fly outfit or not, but I do know that it sure ain't doing my sunny disposition any good. Not gonna complain to loud though, after seeing what MO and LA are going through this year.
Take Care buddy.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie when we get together later on, probably a good chance for July, I'll bring you a chunk of the rouge that I have to keep you going. It's mighty wet here now with the Clark Fork up and roaring right along, I'll take a closer look at it later today. If it comes up much more some folks here in the valley are going to get wet. There is a barber's supply here in town that may just have the rouge you need too, I'll ask them when I get a minute and give you their phone and mailing addy if they do.

Take care my friend,

Jesse

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That's good stuff Charlie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts