Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Marlin (1894C), but I'm still doing my 10 day waiting period (CA) and have continued to read up on this rifle.

Here's a question regarding the "Marlin Jam": Does everyone radius the sharp edge on the lever cam on their brand new rifles? Is it even a concern? I don't want to have any problems, so that's the first thing I do when I get it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tony

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 1894C had a pretty big burr on the cam where they talk about adding the radius. I knocked it off, smoothed and broke the sharp edge. I'm not a "Smith" so didn't want to do much.

Cycled ok before and after. Worth a quick look. Mine needed a good cleaning before shooting too.

Grug

G

·
You probably could get by if yer real gentle and slow racking the gun without ever doing the lever cam.

OTOH, CAS shooters, who run the guns hard, pretty much have to, or they WILL run into the "marlin jam" sooner or later, most often sooner.

It is an EASY job. At a minimum, I'd take the lever out (easy, one screw), and use a diamond knife sharpening stone (walmart, in the camping stuff, six bucks) to radius the pointy edge to a nice gentle .030 or so radius (not gobbed over like it was play dough, but smooth enough so when ya run a finger over it it feels nice and rounded off is fine). Then the dreaded jam will NEVER happen.

While yer at it, do a search for "marauder, marlin tune up" and follow his advice on springs and slickin up. Ya can make that new gun like butter in an hour or so.
Nothing to fear, just go easy.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
For my own use marlins get the whole action job plus the radius. Can't believe how much this changes a rifle for the better. Well worth the time it takes to do the job yourself. Most all of the work can be done with conventional tools and the diamond file mentioned would be a very good starting point. Have some machine expierience helps but to just smooth things up and do some tuning the diamond file should do the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just picked up my 1894C 2 nights ago from the store (damned waiting period). The cam looke radiused already from the factory, but not enough. After 2-3 cycles, it was biting into the carrier, so I put more of a radius on it, as well as followed Maurader's tuning guide. It now feels so much better than it did out of the box. Cycled some dummy rounds and everything seems fine.

Going shooting this weekend...

Tony

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
We expect a full report back here Monday! Pix are good too, especially of your smiling mug as you hold your new best friend. :)

I could never live in Kali. Ten day wait for a new Marlin? Couldn't do it, I'd explode. Our waiting period for long guns is 24 hours, and that seems too long. I guess the good side is that by the time you got your rifle, you'd already done a ton of research on it, and were waiting with open arms and a set of tools to make the early going even better. Well done!

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Waiting period? The taxpayers spend all that money to institute an instant check system and your states still make you wait. Makes me sad. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry no pics yet, but I did come back from the range with one of these :D

The sights were right on at 50 yards too!

I do have very sad news though. My new 1894C was sooo slick and fun to shoot (very little pop and no recoil to boot), that my wife has taken it for her own. The only time I shot it was when I was supposedly sighting in the irons.

About the 10 days, the store I bought it from insists on 11 days, because they don't want to keep track of the hour, so they make their customers wait an extra day.

Now I'm doing research on the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun... (big boom = wife no likey).

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts