Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I saw the strangest thing on my way to work. I was driving along and a big yellow dog crossed the highway right in front of a big old dumptruck. Whew, that was close....then something scampered across right behind him! It was a big old raccoon! Well they crossed to my side and I looked over and the raccoon was dead on that dogs heels. The dog was running and looking back over his shoulder with a perplexed look! LOL I about fell out! I'm sure the **** must have been rabid and If I hadnt been headed to work I'd have had my rifle and waxed his fanny. But as it was I was unarmed and just continued on. I hope that dog didn't get bit. It was a strange sight indeed.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Contrary to what most people believe, most incidences of rabies involve animals just plain out of their minds. They have a true infection in their brain, and will run or have other strange neurologic behavior. The animal in question may have erratic or unusual activity such as restlessness, seizures, episodic agression, and perhaps vicious agression on inanimate objects. Most of the time, an animal will not pursue another. Certainly, the dog in this case could have easily avoided the rabid animal by running away. This is called furious rabies. In other words, it would be very unusual to be in pursuit of another animal. They just do not have that much focus. You get out of their way, and they will generally keep running right by you. This is contrary to what we saw in Old Yeller. This is not to say it can't happen. Most people coming into contact with rabies do so unknowingly. (Like vets investigating a cow with something supposedly stuck in its throat.) I believe the most common incidents recently have been cave explorers that have inhaled the rabies virus from bat guano.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Doc I'll pass on any of it. Could it of had distemper?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
We had a racoon a couple years back, kept tearin up my garbage. He just growled at me when I whacked him with the pellet gun, big old bugger. Anyhow, as much as I wish it were different I live in a small city & shooting him with a gun was out of the question. This guy kept getting bolder till one day he was out there when I let the dog out.
Now, my dogs a family pet, hop up & lick your face friendly, with people. He dont much like other animals though & has eaten a bunch of neighborhood cats in his day a couple skunks & squirrels & anything else he can get.
My back yards fenced in & the cans are outside the fence & when the dog seen him he went nuts. He ran across the yard & cleared that 6' fence like he was a whitetail.
It was hard to see what was happenin as they were both rollin around & the dogs barkin & growlin, the ***** screamin bloody murder. Furs flyin every which a way till finally the **** starts tryin to escape, but Sam wont let him go. He finally got under a car where the dog couldnt go & thats where he died.
Someone called the cops & when they got there they were amazed, said dogs never kill racoons. Guess they never met my dog. :)
Sam got a couple scratches & his ear got knawed on but after a quarentine till the **** could be tested for rabies he was just fine.
The cops said I was lucky & should be careful to not let him get tangled up with racoons. Personally, if he's gonna kill things I'll take racoons over skunks any day :D .
I bought special skunk killer shampoo but the wife still complains when she gotta wash him. :p

G

·
Why in the heck was it the cops business? Are they protecting raccoons now? They should mind their own business! And why would someone call the cops because you're dogs is wasting a ****? Damn ridiculous if you ask me. Raccoons are vermin!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Many ***** I have seen have taken an indifferent stance. None have been agressive other than constantly pillaging our trash/dog food. Dogs still scare the heck out of them and should. Dogs have killed ***** for eons, and as far as I know, ***** will usually only be able to kill dogs when the dog is in the water. (they climb atop their heads). I don't have an explanation for a **** chasing a dog. Mostly, distemper will render them sick and unable to carry on their daily habits. It is very unlikely that you will see a similar situation again. Bold ***** in my part of the country usually end up meeting me or a fearless and fight loving dog. Most ***** carry an antigen,(protein) in their saliva that can render a dog partially paralyzed. This is called polyradiculoneuritis. Also more commonly known as ****-hound paralysis. I have seen this on several occasions, and have witnessed one dog that did not recover. I also find that they are carriers for a tapeworm that is actually transmissable to humans. Called Echinacoccus granulosus. Mostly a problem in the North Central states, I have witnessed it here in Kansas and fear for my children's safety around said animal. If a **** breaks into my garage and rumages around, leaving their scat on my Suburban, it is an all=out war. My wife thinks I have dropped out of the luney bin when I get around *****. I killed one two years ago this Spring that was too big to fit his fat body into a havahardt trap and so I began bow hunting. Most of these animals get braver and braver by being fed indescriminately by well-meaning neighbors that leave food out for them thinking they are helping out the wildlife population. They are a menace, and should be stopped.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
BOA,

The cops concern was for my dog & my family as the **** coulda been rabid.
Some idiot called the cops because, I guess they didnt like the noise, the fight lasted a few minutes but was rather loud. Like I said in my post I live in a small city & the houses are rather close to the street & each other.
If this happened in my back yard I doubt the police would have come.
They wont have to anymore anyway because I got a little crossbow that works better at discouraging them then the pellet gun did.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was extremely interesting. Would have liked to have stuck around and seen what developed. The dang **** crossed the highway milliseconds before being splattered by a tandem dumptruck. All to get after that fool dog. The last thing I saw was a sort of Mexican standoff between the two. The **** was more aggressive and the dog was intrigued, like he might be playing a game. The **** definitely wasn't playing around.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dr. A said:
Many ***** I have seen have taken an indifferent stance. None have been agressive other than constantly pillaging our trash/dog food. Dogs still scare the heck out of them and should. Dogs have killed ***** for eons, and as far as I know, ***** will usually only be able to kill dogs when the dog is in the water. (they climb atop their heads).
That’s my understanding too. I have a pair of Toy Poodles that will chase and tree possums and raccoons 2 or 3 times their own size when they get into our yard and the possums and raccoons always run. I am right behind the dogs with a big club just in case. It's the strangest sight you ever saw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts