Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rabbit season is on hereabouts and I've been trying to use the 17 Aguila for all of my shooting. It has been great. Minimal meat damage, flatter shooting than a Stinger, and very accurate indeed. On another board there is a fellow that relined a worn-out Marlin M-20 pump to 17A and he's having a blast. That's the first pump gun I've heard of being chambered for the round. That would be a cool rabbit gun. I've been using a rebarreled 77/22 Ruger. I love bolt guns but if you miss these cottontails you seldom get a second shot by the time you've racked the bolt! A pump would be very cool.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds cool Andrew. Where are you getting your ammo? I haven't seen any of it in the stores yet. Then again I haven't looked too awfully hard. Last I heard my local shop had just heard of the HM2, didn't even know about the aguila.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just what I need, another rimfire! :lol: Perhaps this winter I'll have some free time to tinker around and build myself as 17A chambered plinker.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Andrew said:
Rabbit season is on hereabouts and I've been trying to use the 17 Aguila for all of my shooting. It has been great. Minimal meat damage, flatter shooting than a Stinger, and very accurate indeed. On another board there is a fellow that relined a worn-out Marlin M-20 pump to 17A and he's having a blast. That's the first pump gun I've heard of being chambered for the round. That would be a cool rabbit gun. I've been using a rebarreled 77/22 Ruger. I love bolt guns but if you miss these cottontails you seldom get a second shot by the time you've racked the bolt! A pump would be very cool.~Andrew
Andrew-

Very interesting to me as I own a 20 that has been relined in .22 LR. I would imagine the .17 liner would be fairly thick compared to the paper thin tubing that is used for .22 LR. Have you heard how accurate the relined 20 is? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc: The word I got was that the guy was getting results on par with my own. That's saying alot as my Aguila rifles are pretty accurate. No specific group sizes mentioned, though.

I have heard that Taurus (Brazil) is considering making a rifle and a revolver in 17Aguila. The rifle was mentioned as a "13-shot carbine." That sounds like their M-62. I may have to get one of those! ~Andrew

·
Registered
932 Posts
I saw some 17 aguila at a gun show today, $55 a brick. I think that I would like to have the new savage MK II GLV (left handed it is) in the 17 HM2 then I could shoot 17 aguila or HM2. I do hope that the 17a ammo comes down in price as supplies increase. As much as I like to shoot, I would be dissapointed in not being able to shoot it as much as I would like because of the cost of ammo.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sarge: That guy was doing a bit of price gouging. The Aguila sells for under $5 a box elsewhere. Usually $48 a brick. I don't expect the M2 will be any cheaper so the Aguila should hold you in good stead while you wait for M2 ammo.~Andrew

·
Registered
932 Posts
Andrew,
I doubt that I would ever shoot HM2 ammo, but it would be an available option. I think the 17A would be a great late season squirrel rifle.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you should hold out for an Aguila rifle? Alot of folks are relining old (or bought used) 22's to 17 and having a ball. I agree that the 17 Aguila would be a great squirrel round. When I was a kid growing up in the hardwoods of New England I'd have sold my siblings into slavery for a 17A and a brick of ammo. ~Andrew

·
Registered
932 Posts
Andrew,
NEF already has the handi rifle out in HM2. There are 3 of them on Gunbroker. All 3 auctions have a buy it now price ranging from around 160 to 180, I think.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Heads up. Pretty bold move on NEF's part. The ammo isn't due out for a while. I like the NEF Hnady Rifles. I had an SB2 in 223 I gave to my nephew for coyote hunting. It needed tinkering when I got it but it got knocked into a half minute rifle after a bit.

I already have a 17M2 barrel hanging about but I'd hate to pull my 17 Aguila barrel to install it. It's shooting too darned well! I had it (77/22) out last Saturday and did some ground squirrel shooting. I shot two with head shots at ranges of 55 and 58 yards. These squirrels are dimunitive critters with a head about the size of a small peach pit: Quarter-sized, perhaps. I nailed another dead center while it thought it was hiding under a bush at 77 yards. It kicked once and lay still. My partner killed far more than I did. He's an ex Marine marksmanship instructor and he really likes the 17 Aguila. He had the "hot" side of the hill side and shot them as soon as they made an appearance. He probably got twenty to my 5 or six. What a great way to spend the day! ~Andrew

·
Registered
70 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
Sounds cool Andrew. Where are you getting your ammo? I haven't seen any of it in the stores yet. Then again I haven't looked too awfully hard. Last I heard my local shop had just heard of the HM2, didn't even know about the aguila.
What exactly is the difference between the .17 Aguila and the .17 HM2? It seems to me I read a post somewhere, I think on RFC that the two cartridges could be fired from the same chambering. Is this true?? Glen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts