Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a Rossi R92 in .357 Magnum? Should I go with the 16" or 20" barrel? This will probably be an under 100 yard rifle for me...

·
Registered
48 Posts
same question i have been having since i can't find a marlin version in a sane price range
short means less ammo by two rounds, but it would not stick out so much in the brush
i can order 20inch today but no 16 inch in stock at distrubitor as last week

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up ordering the 16" with the big loop lever, blued steel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
how is the action
i've read they are hit or miss with being smooth

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I prefer the 16 inch trapper version. The 357 isn't going to gain any performance with the extra 4 inches of barrel, so you might as well have the shorter, more convenient trapper model.
Shh! Don't tell my 24" that. :biggrin: I'm getting almost 2000fps with a 158gr jacketed bullet.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'm considering buying a Rossi R92 in .357 Magnum? Should I go with the 16" or 20" barrel? This will probably be an under 100 yard rifle for me...
I've got the same question only I am looking at the 24" R92-51001 octagon barrel or the 20" R92-56001. There is a manufactures list of $559.00 for the 20" and $619.00 for the 24". The only reason I would buy the 24" over the 20" would be a difference in accuracy and I don't know if the difference in price would be worth it. What kind of retail prices are you guys seeing where you live?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how is the action
i've read they are hit or miss with being smooth
Mine feels OK... Feels a little smoother than my Remlin 1895 GBL.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prices are good @ BudsGunShop.com... I paid $457 at my local gun store.

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've got the same question only I am looking at the 24" R92-51001 octagon barrel or the 20" R92-56001. There is a manufactures list of $559.00 for the 20" and $619.00 for the 24". The only reason I would buy the 24" over the 20" would be a difference in accuracy and I don't know if the difference in price would be worth it. What kind of retail prices are you guys seeing where you live?

i just priced a 16" stainless 45lc 560$ out the door

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Can a scope be mounted on a 92 Rossi over the receiver?

T:hmmmm: NY

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK...just finished cleaning & oiling the rifle with Eezox. I also installed a stainless steel magazine follower from The Smith Shop. The magazine tube has a slight side to side movement...even after I snugged up the barrel band clamp. The magazine spring is very strong. The rounds do not go in easily. I might buy the spring kit from Brownells. The action is smooth enough, and should get better with use. The buttstock isn't coming off. I removed the top screw and pulled like crazy. It might need a few taps with a rubber mallet to loosen it up. Ejection is very positive. Do not rack the lever at waist level. You will have casings in your face. I took a snap cap to the head. LOL

Reactions: mabbent

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...also, the "safety" doesn't stop the hammer from falling from full cock. I'll stick with the usual half cock internal safety.

Reactions: RevDerb

·
Registered
48 Posts
best lessons are the hard ones right? lol

Reactions: K Williams

·
Registered
484 Posts
OK...just finished cleaning & oiling the rifle with Eezox. I also installed a stainless steel magazine follower from The Smith Shop. The magazine tube has a slight side to side movement...even after I snugged up the barrel band clamp. The magazine spring is very strong. The rounds do not go in easily. I might buy the spring kit from Brownells. The action is smooth enough, and should get better with use. The buttstock isn't coming off. I removed the top screw and pulled like crazy. It might need a few taps with a rubber mallet to loosen it up. Ejection is very positive. Do not rack the lever at waist level. You will have casings in your face. I took a snap cap to the head. LOL

are you happy with the gun for the price? I'm still not shure the price is right but I love my marlins. if i could find a 1894 45lc I would be alot happier

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are you happy with the gun for the price? I'm still not shure the price is right but I love my marlins. if i could find a 1894 45lc I would be alot happier
What I really wanted was a Marlin 1894C or 1894CSS, but they seem to be impossible to get, and are now made by Remington...which means quality control problems. I'm guessing that a new 1894C will be around $600+, so I'm pretty happy with what I got for my money. Could have gone a little bit cheaper if I ordered it from BudsGunShop, but I wanted to support my local gun store this time around.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts