·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that school boards across our nation abide by
different laws and schedules. Back when I (and many
of you) went to school, we always started the first
Monday after Labor Day, and the school year ended
the first week of June. It all seemed so simple then!

Nowadays, schools around here, all start at varying
times, from the first week in August until the third
week in August; the final day of school varies much
the same, from the third week of May until the first
week of June.

The county in which I live is thinking of changing the
school schedules back to the "old days".

(1)How are things in your school system? and

(2)What do you think of the scenario I described above?

Annabelle

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
ANNABELLE said:
I know that school boards across our nation abide by
different laws and schedules. Back when I (and many
of you) went to school, we always started the first
Monday after Labor Day, and the school year ended
the first week of June. It all seemed so simple then!

Nowadays, schools around here, all start at varying
times, from the first week in August until the third
week in August; the final day of school varies much
the same, from the third week of May until the first
week of June.

The county in which I live is thinking of changing the
school schedules back to the "old days".

(1)How are things in your school system?
So far, the day after Labor Day is the start of school (tho my son is in summer school for 2 weeks)
and

(2)What do you think of the scenario I described above?

Annabelle
I would still wait till after Labor Day to send him. They want to increase time in school, cut all the vacations out.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Mine go from Sept something or other to June something or other.
I'm not sure why they switch it around just as I'm not real sure why there even is a summer vaca anymore. The kids love it & to be honest I like being able to just grab the boys & go away for a few without thinking about school but it makes summer an expensive thing with both of us working.
When I was a kid mom didnt work, times were simpler.
If I had my way they'd get the spring off anyway. Its been a hot humid nasty summer here mostly & as much as I like the outside its hard to enjoy it when your dripping sweat just sitting in the shade. :D

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here in my area it's kind of a mixed bag as to when school starts. Like you Anna, we always started the Monday after Labor Day and went till a little after Memorial Day. But then we didn't have off for snow days or all these other holidays we have now. Here in Pa kids have to go to school for 182 days, I think as they get older say 9th grade on up they should go to school from 8-5, 5 days a week 50 weeks a year with 2 weeks for vacation. They could get thru school faster, learn more and get thru college or tech school earlier. This would allow them to contribute more to SS so I could retire earlier. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason given here is that the schedule was changed
so the older children who have exams could take their
exams before they started Christmas holidays, which
runs from end of 2nd week in Dec. and they go back the
1st week in Jan. following New Year's day. I used to like
having the holidays to study for my exams when we
went back. The kids here attend school 180 days.

Anna

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Good to have you back Anna. I missed you.

Here in Puerto Rico, when I was in (parochial)school many moons ago, we always started the second week of August. Public schools started a week earlier. We got the same time off for X-mas, but more for Easter. They would end about a week earlier at the beginning of May. Most schools still keep to this schedule. They tried using the US standard of starting after Labor Day, but there weren't enough days, between all the local holidays and the occasional hurricane, to finish the semester before Christmas, and nobody wanted finals in January!

Since it is perpetual summer here, it doesn't make that much a difference.

G

·
oh my...here come the flames...<shrinking>...they don't start nearly early enuff and end too soon for many a parent!! :lol: But the real reasons are there's soooo much more to learn than when most of us reading and writin' hereabouts went to school. Come on!! Admit it...we only had to larn enuff reading to git thru the funny papers!! NOW you need a 12th grade ducatshun in the first grade...and with the competitive spirit of today's modern parents they want it to begin three years before conception in a guvermint sponsored sperm-egg start...similar to tha head-start so thar kin can be fust!! !! :lol: :lol: :lol: Next thing ya knows them thar teachers will want ya ta be taxed based on sperm counts than head counts...geesh!! An it don't help nun if ya don't have any spurm count...theys already set the precedence on taxin' ya fur whut ya don't have at 65 and 70 and no chilluns...they say...look at ol' Larry King, and Tony Randall...it's possibull tho' not likely!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
No flames but the US and there indoctorination systems suck... Need to have real teachers ,, go year round to catch up with the rest of world.. Our system sucks.. Home Schooling of Children is what is needed.. Teaching them the Fundamentals of Living , Caring, Learning, Religion and The Constitution... first and formost.. then the High Tech World

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good answer, Gunjunkie. I think we need to add morality
to your list. Even if a child is NOT home-schooled, education
should start at home. So many parents have gotten caught
up in this fast paced country we live in and they think they
don't have the time to interact with their kids. Some parents
just don't care.

Annabelle

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
For alot of parents, home school means T.V. or video games. Some of my friends are the same age as my daughter, and if I take the time, when around them to ask what they did today or what they are studying in school you would think I had just done some great miracle and they will talk to me for nearly an hour telling me what they did and what they want to do for a career. Some kids have their heads screwed on pretty good but if parents don't take the time to listen they can get their heads screwed up pretty quick.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, Uncle Mike; I've had the same thing happen
with some of my daughter's friends.

Anna

1 - 11 of 11 Posts