Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and...

See More

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Heaven's streets have another marine guarding them! Rest in Peace Gunny Ermey.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones, and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family.

Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my Country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.

If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me the courage to try again.

Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,661 Posts
A man's man. What a guy! In real life and the cinema!

I'm going to have to watch 'Full Metal Jacket' for the umpteenth time. (Actually will be looking forward to it!)

I originally saw it in the theater with a Marine fellow cop whom we had each other's back more times than I can count. He said, "The movie is exactly like boot camp was!"

AC

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones, and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family.
Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my Country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.

If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me the courage to try again.

Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.
Amen Brother.........

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
A man's man. What a guy! In real life and the cinema!

I'm going to have to watch 'Full Metal Jacket' for the umpteenth time. (actually will be looking forward to it!)

I originally saw it in the theater with a Marine fellow cop whom we had each others back more times than I can count. He said, "The movie is exactly like boot camp was!"

AC
DITTO! Gunny's performance in FMJ is iconic. If I'm not mistaken, Gunny was called in to consult on making the drill sgt more real. He demonstrated how it's done and they immediately put Gunny in the part.

Gunny was a man's man, a patriot and as American as they come and a great loss. RIP Gunny, you'll not be forgotten.

Jack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.