Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting a new 1894FG, but have a couple of questions about it.
Why is the FG the only 1894 with micro-groove riflings and how does this effect accuracy?
This one is probably trivial, but the pistol grip stock isn't very comfortable to me. It could be that I just need to get used to it, but, would it be possible to put a straight stock and lever on an FG?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I bought one and was very unhappy with the accuracy with cast bullets.sold it and have vowed "never" another MG marlin.
I am a bullet caster/avid reloader and for me to give up on a rifle takes alot.I only have praise for my 1894P 44 mag.it has shot everything 44 special/44 mag jacketed and cast bullets, VERY accurate ballard rifling is the answer.
pete

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
In contrast to txpete's experiences, I'm pretty well pleased with my FG. It will hold about 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with both handloaded jacketed and cast bullets. I'm still tinkering to get it to feed heavier cast loads more reliably but, overall, it's a keeper. I guess it's like any other mass produced product--quality can vary from one to another as they come off the assembly line. I do believe the conversion work you mention is possible.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
retro I am sure mine was a yellow lemon of the highest order.I know that marlin test fires these before they leave the factory.that one shouldn't have been shipped. :shock:
fwiw.I tried .410/.411/.412/unsized and about 10 different alloys.
pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shoot Nosler, Sierra and Remington jacketed bullets, and Cast Performance Bullets for cast. The 255 gr CPB is my standard load in a 6 1/2" Blackhawk chambered in 41 mag, a 14" Contender in 41 mag and a 14" Contender in a 41 GNR2. I'm hoping these bullets will work in the Marlin action as well. I've heard good and bad things about the micro-groove riflings in Marlin rifles.

G

·
I have one , accuracy with 210 XTP's and Nosler 210's was good.I also have the Lyman mold for the 210 grain cast bullet , however I've had a real problem finding gas checks that seat well. So I haven't tried cast bullets in it :?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
6pt-sika -- Have you tried .416 gas checks?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had an 1894S in .41 Magnum, Micro Groove, since I bought it new in 1987. I put a Williams 5D receiver sight on it years ago, and have shot many different cast and jacketed bullets through it.

With my handloads, it will do 3" at 100 yards, and with my older-than-most-here eyes, that suits me just fine. Anyone who can't kill a deer at 100 yards with a "three inch" rifle, oughta go back to Shooters' School 101. :lol:

A Mule deer, several coyotes, and many ground squirrels have fallen to that Micro Groove barrel.

FWIW. L.W.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
With my handloads, it will do 3" at 100 yards, and with my older-than-most-here eyes, that suits me just fine. Anyone who can't kill a deer at 100 yards with a "three inch" rifle, oughta go back to Shooters' School 101.

yup but if you have one thats just like lighting**won't hit the same place twice** then its a door stop.

as far as shooters school I guess 20+ in the army and being on the shooting team at ft hood tx must be 102.

·
Registered
363 Posts
TXPETE - "as far as shooters school I guess 20+ in the army and being on the shooting team at ft hood tx must be 102."

I'd say more like Graduate School. 8)

Seriously, however, if that FG is shooting that badly, you might send it back to Marlin and see if they can remedy the problem.

Good luck.

L.W.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Reams have been written about the micro-grove with heros and villians on both sides.Most experts come down on the side that with their experience the micro-grove barrel has been malined when it comes to shooting cast bullets..Those who ran special tests state they find the hardness of the bullet makes a great deal of difference.They go on to suggest that trying a different mix from another bullet caster is probably the fastest way to solve the problem.Find one that shoots and stick with that caster.Since I own guns that are OLD,I have no problem along those lines but read everything I can find about it because it is VERY interesting. My own 94 was a movie gun,built in 1906 and used by the studio for their gangs.Originally made in 38-40,some enterprising FOOL bored the chamber to 44-40 to make it easier to load blank cartridges without the smaller neck.Nice move for a blank gun.BUT after fireing a cartridge marked 38-40 you withdrew a cartridge with 44-40 dimensions. So I had the barrel rebored to 45 [ballard rifling] and chambered it in 45 Colt.. LOVE it,,shoots GREAT.modoc

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I sold it at a gun show and told the guy about the cast bullet problem.he didn't care as he was only going to shoot factory loads and doesn't handload.(expensive in 41 mag)
like I say just got a lemon and I am not anti-marlin and bought a 1894P 44mag and love it.
on that 41 mag... man I tried everything sizing/alloy from soft to pure lino even prayed and sacrificed a goat to the lead god nothing worked.
oh well I do like to hear that you guys have ones that work.
pete

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I think the .41 with MG barrels are hit and miss. The gent that owns Magnus bullets is a good friend of mine. He has a MG .41 that shoots great with cast bullets. I have heard of many more that don't. I have a 1894 .44 with the mg barrel. Couldn't get it to shoot cast for the world. A member on here hooked me up with a bullet he made that is sized .433". It is a 255 gr. The first trip to the range brought back 1.5" groups with it. Until that the only bullets that shot decent in it were the 240,200,180gr XTPs. Its going after whitetails with the 255 cast. reflex264

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
To answer your other question go to the resources section and you will see the info how to convert a pistol grip to a straight grip etc. you will need a second 1894 with a straight grip but the conversion from one to the other is easy. (Helps if the wood on both is close or the mag tubes are of the same diameter so you can match the wood as the butt stock has to go from one to the other and the forearms may not match).

G

·
41Retro said:
6pt-sika -- Have you tried .416 gas checks?
Yep, Hornadys 416 gaschecks don't seat well, and Lyman no longer makes a 41 gascheck. I did see a blurb in the CBA magazine about a small company in Lousiana I believe that will make a siutable gascheck. Just haven't bothered to order any yet :?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts