Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Pards,
The past few years I've been able to give brief updates of the happenings and goings-on from the Quigley match via phone conversations with Wind. This year we even planned to go hi-tech and have SRF send me pictures via his way-smarter-than-my-phone.

Unfortunately a scheduling conflict will prevent me from posting updates as my wonderful niece is getting her Master's Degree in a field that she's almost certain to be able to get a job for minimum wage and the fact that any sort of academic achievement is so rare in my family that I simply must attend.

So I'm hoping there is someone here that can coordinate with Wind and SRF to do the updates for me to prevent y'all from rioting, binge rifle buying or stirring up trouble in the 444 forum cuz you got nothing better to do...

Thanks,
Mo

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If my mental telepathy works that remote, I'll do what I can. I'll be thinking about you, and I'll send thoughts. "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful."

I do have big plans of a lot of pictures, course they won't do any one any good till I get back...Steve

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Go git them dingers Wind!!!

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Well if you need someone to receive the pictures and post them then I don't mind doing it. I have a email addy if y'all want the pictures posted just pm me for it. I do IT server support so posting a few pictures be no problem:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
As I understand Wind has left the building. Wish I could as well. Later, later than I want. Steve

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is my understanding as well. I should hear from him in a day or two. I'll get it sorted out before I take off. We should be enjoying the dings from afar shortly.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
2010 Quigley Survey Results (252 responses):
Rifle Used: 130 Sharps, 51 1885s, 19 Rolling Blocks, 5 Stevens
Caliber Used: 129 45-70 (54%), 35 45-90 (15%), 34 40-65 (14%), 12 38-55 (5%), 9 45-110 (3.5%), plus 40-70, 45-100, 45-120,
40-90, 50-90, 40-82, 44-63, 44-90, 44-100, 50-110, 577-450.
Powder: 66% Black Powder, 30% Smokeless, 2% Duplex, 2% Black Powder Substitute
Top Five Things Liked Most: #1 The people/camaraderie, #2 Shooting, #3 Organization/Well Run, #4 Everything,
#5 Atmosphere of Match
Top Five Things Liked Least: #1 The wind and weather, #2 Nothing, #3 Wait Between Targets, #4 Missing the Target,
#5 Need to paint targets more often

Just a few fun facts for your viewing pleasure this evening. This is direct from the "Q" web site. (now I can't loose this bold and large print)
Notice the number of lever guns, notice the prevalence of the 38-55 cartridge. So all Wind has to do is, run his booth where he sells his sticks, take Cleat for walks, on a leash. Something neither of them are accustomed to. Hold down his tent in the winds and remember to have a good time whilst competing with others that have weapons that are easier to shoot well. Go Wind! Have a nice evening one and all. Steve

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wind decided on the 38-55 this year?
:top:
Hope the dinger gods are smiling on him

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
He did. He is capable and the gun is. All he needs is good conditions and a spotter would help. Srf will be there ahead of me a couple of days. The spotting should work out this year. He has a good attitude about it all, can't help but admire his efforts. Steve

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Well, I can tell ya'll Wind and Clete made it to Billings this afternoon. They stopped by my work today and I got to spend half an hour talking with the Captain. I only get half an hour for lunch so had to cut it short and let them get on the road to Al Lee's ranch to get set up. Good news is the weather is nice and supposed to stay that way for a few days. I'll catch the weather tonight and hope to hear good news. Clete has talked Wind into getting a bigger truck, gives em both a little more room for the road trips. (First time I saw them, I didn't see Wind till Clete got out out of the truck.:biggrin:) Hope my work schedule allows me to get down there for a day. DP

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Who in the world is using the 577/450? Is there a Brit in the mix?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Weather report looks very good thru Sunday! Low chance of showers during the week, Sat. and Sunday look to be in the mid to upper 70's for the weekend with sun and no rain. No mention of wind during those days, but being Montana, this is subject to change every 5 min. If the wind holds off, the Captain and the 38-55 should do very well. DP

Reactions: stevewhr

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Can't wait to hear and see more! Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good luck guys, sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
One of the cool things about the Quigley is the rules. They are fairly broad. You can show up with no small number of guns and still be able to shoot. It's meant for period weapons of the late 1800's and cast bullets. If you want to bring your elephant rifle, bring it. Just has to fit their guide lines. A rancher allows this to happen on his pasture, he and his friends put it on, and we get to enjoy it. What a great event, shooting, vendors and a collection of shooters that you only read about. Some pretty big names will be there. Then Phoebe and I will show up late!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Ah..............the Quigley. That's the stuff dreams are made of. Was just sharing some of the info with my wife................who could care less about the Quigley. All she could say was "Oh, guy stuff." I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to share the camaraderie with all the shooters at an event like that. I'll never get to attend, so I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously. So keep the info coming. Pics are eagerly awaited.
GO WIND!
:congrats:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts