Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck with using a crossbow this year due to a torn biceps that has been repaired. I have checked the crossbow over and made sure everything is in place and tightened down. When shot it makes an awful twang. Is this common? It is a Barnett Quad 400 that I have borrowed for the season.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
603 Posts
you should be able to get some string silencers on it, and limbsavers. other than that, crossbows are noisy by nature.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
al,

Getting to hunt with a crossbow is a good thing!

I have a Quad 400. Mine is not that noisy. It shoots so fast it doesn't make any difference in most cases. The deer I got didn't jump my string. The arrow was through it and in the ground before the deer could react.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Would you all know if using a red dot sight is a better choise than a crosshair scope?

Andrew

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
IMO they're both good. Use what you're more confident with if you have a choice. I bought my Quad 400 with the conventional scope. I think it's great. I could get proficient with either and the pin sights to.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
MDTrailrider, I just bought a Quad 400 crossbow to shoot this year. My orthopedic doctor thinks regular rifle shooting would put too much pressure on my neck. I bought the Quad 400 with a crank to make it easier for me to draw the string and have no recoil. I will be practicing with it later this week. Marla

·
Registered
603 Posts
Good job stayin in the fight Marla, hope your recovery is smooth

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Marla,

Congratulations on buying a crossbow! I just bought a compound bow to hunt where I believe my grandfather would have taught me to hunt had he not died so young from smoking. I prefer crossbows over bows but I'm willing to try hunting with a bow. I think the biggest challenge for me will be drawing the bow without getting made by the deer. Hunting with a crossbow is much more like rifle hunting. The crossbow is already cocked so I just need to calmly and slowly bring the crossbow up, aim and squeeze the trigger. Why is your neck tweeked?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
MDTrailrider, I fell 40 feet to the cement(ground) in 1973. My neck was bounced around and affected by the jarring. I also broke both pelvis bones, my radial head, narvicular bone and 2-8 ribs. Now the neck has to have surgery since some of the cervical bones are out of line in the neck and losing the calcium and mass in the neck. The nerves are being pushed against. Marla

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Marla,

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I'm glad you still get to hunt.

I had a very full afternoon of hunting on Friday, September 16th, the second day of the season. It was a great 5 hours of hunting but I don't have time to write about most of it.

I saw deer eight times, almost got walked on by a big doe and ended up taking a shot at a trophy buck that was fighting with about an eight point buck with 5 minutes of legal hunting time left. The bucks noticed my movement when I approached and aimed. They both looked at me as I set the cross hairs on the trophy buck. I watched the arrow through the scope on my Quad 400 sailing right toward it's heart. In the same moment the arrow disappeared, the buck ducked down and leaning away from me at about 45 degrees, whipped around violently 180 degrees and bolted across the hay field and over the fence. I was sure I had him but after searching 5 hours for him and my arrow Saturday morning I'm pretty convinced he dodged my arrow. Most "experts" who didn't witness the event will instantly say he jumped my string but what I observed the buck do went beyond loading up to run. The other buck and the two does nearby ran off in reaction to the trophy buck fleeing. I'm not 100% sure I didn't get him, but I found his tracks in the field and the woods for a few hundred yards and I couldn't find any blood, hair or my arrow even though I found the exact spot he stood and the tracks he made when he whipped around. I hope my arrow is buried in the hay field and the buck lives.

I guess even a Quad 400 arrow could still stand to be faster. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts