• I Don't Reload

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious.

I have just gotten back into reloading in May last year and have primarily been loading jacketed. I wanted to get a better feel for what the rest of you prefer.

Thanks and please add comments if you’d like in your post as to favorite load!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Back into reloading after about a 16 year hiatus - and jumping headfirst into the cast bullet ocean - including casting my own. Will shoot virtually all 44/45 as cast, and nearly all my milsurps eventually. Will retain a couple jacket loads for deer rifles, but that is about it.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
You need a both button.
Ive been loading jacketed for over 4 decades.
Cast only the last year.
Now its about 50/50
Now that I roll my own boolits
I dont plan on buying any more jacketed

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Primarily jacketed in auto pistol loads (.380, .45ACP) and cast in the majority of my revolver loads (.38/.357, .41, .45Colt.) The high velocity stuff gets jacketed.

I don't load any cast in my rifles (.30-30, .348WCF, 7.62mm, 5.56mm, 30-06)

I only load lead in my shotgun... ;D

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Cast in light/moderate loads for pistols, cast (with gas-checks) and jacketed for heavy pistol loads.

Cast (with gas-checks) and jacketed in rifles (particularly the levers), but just jacketed in the bolt guns.

Overall, about 65%/35% cast vs. jacketed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I started handloading in 1968; during my first year I started casting my own revolver bullets because I just couldn't find any bullets locally for some calibers. Since then, I've continued with both. Jacketed only in high velocity rifles, with a mix in carbines that use handgun calibers. In auto pistols, I go strictly jacketed. In revolvers, it's a mix, but mostly cast in the big boys, like .50s and .41Mag. In my Marlin .45-70, it's mostly jacketed, with about 20% cast. Nowadays I only cast my own bullets using custom molds; anything else, I buy commercially cast.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Most of my loading has been for handguns. I use jacketed bullets for higher performance loads. but target and plinking loads are comm cast. I don't know how many thousands I have loaded total. But I shot one gold cup to death. ;D

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
I don't have as much time as I used to so I mostly use jacketed bullets or previously cast bullets (wheelweights) from my rather large stash. Both are equally accurate at any speed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
In all honesty I had to pick both. But, in handguns it is 100 percent cast bullets be they plinkers, hunting of slf defense. In rifles, I probably shoot more cast bulelts than jcketed, but it does depend on the rifle in question. Again, in the 30-30 it's 100 percent cast, about 75 percent cast in the .308 and 30-06. I've been shooting my home cast bullets since I was 16 and I'm pushing 73 as I type this. Don't see any reason to quit now. I've taken deer and small game with cast for years, usually in the 30-30. With the lighter gallery/small game loads, I have found out that the marlin is much friendlier toward those 100 to 120 gr. bullets than the Winchesters based on the m94 (M55 and 64) The Winchester M54 will shoot just about any cast bullet well as it is a bolt action. FWIW, favored, by me anyway bullets for the 30-30 are the Lyman #311291 and the RCBS #30-180-FN. Seventeen deer have gome to my freezer over the years with those two bullets. I'd use them today if I can draw a tag where the 30-30 is feasable. These day, when I do draw a tag, shots are potentially too ar out to use a 30-30 responsibly, especially with cast bullet loads. I pefer to have my shots at 100 yards or less even though I know they'll work just as well at jacketed bullet ranges.
Paul B.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jacketed only for me.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
I reload both about 60% cast and 40% jacketed. I have pet loads in both.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Been loading and casting since 1961, same year I got married. Lately though,
I've been buying my lead bullets. I have all the time I need but never seem to
get around to it. I'd rather be out shooting with my gandsons. Under my tutoring they are well into the basics of reloading and I am really enjoying that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pistol is 100% cast, always has been.

Rifle, well that's different. I do favor the NBT for most of my loads, but of late I bought a slew of repackaged CorLokt's from Midway for various calibers.

Now that I've expanded from bolt guns to levers, all they'll ever see is cast.

Started casting before I started reloading and I'm basically ... frugal. :)

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
At this point in all of my Marlins, I usually shoot my own cast bullets about 95% of the time. I just enjoy doing it. The older I get the more I like the lighter loads with cast bullets. I have a large inventory of jacketed bullets that I need to shoot. Maybe one day I will get back to the jacketed bullets.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.