Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Quick Question About a Williams Sight

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  336 Fan 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a '65 336 Texan that has a Williams FPTK Sight on it that I am not interested in. My question is when this type of sight was installed, was it just a "bolt-on"? Trying to make sure that there is no chance that the gun was Drilled and Tapped.

Thanks

Bill

#2 ·
I can't state for sure, others will have to confirm, i am currently out of town and can't look at my 1960's model 336's but i beleive they came from the factory pre-drilled for receiver sights, i know my '70's were.
Others will be along soon to say for sure, with my old eyes, i need the receiver sights

Reactions: 336 Fan
#3 ·
My wife has a '62 Texan that was factory D&T'd for the side mount sight. My '84 Texan was factory drilled too. Your '65 very likely came that way from the factory. I don't think that ceased until the 21st century but I am not absolutely certain when they stopped.

#4 ·
'65 models came drilled and, tapped. Same for all Marlin levers until well after the cross bolt safety came into being. I do not remember when drilling and tapping was ceased, but it seems like not more than 10-15 years ago?

#6 ·
Removing the sight and reinstalling proper plug screws would essentially return it to original configuration. If that is important to you. If you are trying to get a collector condition rifle you may have to check closer at the current sights and other features too. But if all you want to do is return the rifle to typical original spec then removing the FP-TK and plugging the holes is all you need to do.

#7 ·
Don't forget to give your buddies here first crack at that sight you don't like......

#9 ·
Up to recent all 336s were drilled and tapped for side mount peep sights.

#10 ·
Yep D&T'd from factory! Just get filler screws and your G2G....

Than sell the sight here...... To Me :biggrin:

Good Luck :tee:
BloodGroove4570

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.