Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh, I don't "need" this rifle, but today I came across a 1982 Marlin 1895S. I've never even shot a .45/70, but I'm considering buying it (damn Marlinitis). Twenty-two inch barrel, pistol grip, JM mark, no safety, peep sight added, factory front sight.
I've got a 1957 336 in .35 Rem, a 1974 336 in .30-30 & a 1952 336RC Waffle Top in .30-30.

What the heck am I gonna hunt with a .45/70?

The LGS has a $495 sell tag on it. Is that a fair price? Good year/model for a Marlin .45/70?

Factory recoil pad...what's the .45/70 recoil like? I'm used to .300 Win Mag recoil...

I've got 60 year old eyes. I've got an older Leupold Vari-X ll 2-7x33 that needs a rifle...good choice for this .45/70?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Buy it, Buy it, Buy it. Even if you do nothing but resell it you can make a little money. You can hunt deer, elk, moose, Bear and shoot tin cans with it. They are a great gun. The 22" barrel along with JM barrel. Man that is a sought after item.

To me the recoil is like that of a 20 Ga. shotgun. It is not bad at all.

You buy it and if you don't like it I will give you your money back and pay the shipping.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That's a fair price. But try to get him down a little!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Haggle a little bit on the price, even if they come down a little bit you will save something. As for what to do with a .45-70? Shoot it. It's like I always say, the best thing about having a .45-70, is having a .45-70. Plus, when zombie buffalo show up, everyone will want to be your best friend.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Go for it Northrunner! Like others have said, if you don't like it.....well, I'm here for you!

Mop

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Mossberg .30-30 lever action and Marlin 1895 GBL .45-70. My 6'1" 185 lb. trapper friend reckons the .45-70 is gentler on the shoulder than the .30-30 (both factory loads). The .45-70 will do everything the .30-30 will and then some. There is no animal in North America that the .45-70 will not handle.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hurry down and get that guy out of bed and buy it now before somebody else does. Having a need for it has nothing to do with anything, it's available and that's all that matters. eh

·
Registered
741 Posts
Warning...Warning......Warning

If you buy that 45-70

You will most likely buy another

I bought one and now I have three

And I have 69 year old eyes.

BUY IT NOW YOU WILL LOVE MESSIN' WITH ANY 45-70 AND THE ONE YOU HAVE FOUND IS A VERY SPECIAL ONE

·
Registered
363 Posts
Over the years I have had six 45-70s, still have three. You can hunt with it or punish a gong, severely! I did that yesterday, sent over a pound of lead at a gong. It cleared my sinuses and made me feel good!
FM

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Hey NR,

Buy now!

13 gr of Unique/Universal Clays and a 405 gr LFP = 1150 fps, and a whole lot of dinger ringing fun!

Later, Mark
Mark has one of , oh, 500 loads you can do with that caliber. You can load it up to the slobber knocker level, shoot it smooth and strong, or even make a decent plinker out of the rifle as Mark has shown above. Heck, I have had a bunch of fun blasting porcupines out of trees on my in-laws ranch with 300gr HP loads. So I have loaded and shot from 300gr HP up to 550gr cast "crater" bullets including the famed Horandy 500gr DGX bullet loaded for the 45-70. Let's just say that one is in the slobber knocker level.

Get the gun. That is a good price.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have the 2005 version of the rifle you are talking about. I paid $650 for mine and it was lightly used. I was proud to get it and still am. Yours is much less expensive but worth a bunch. I wouldn't lead you astray on this deal, buy it because you can't possibly lose money on it. Not to mention that having a 45-70 just rounds out your collection. It's a powerhouse but is gentle until you need it to be brutal. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.

And I love tea.....

Ron

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
What the heck am I gonna hunt with a .45/70?
My question to you sir, is what CAN'T you hunt with a 45/70.

I dont see under water very good any more, so whales are out of the question.

Other than that, there is a quieting peace knowing you can kill anything on the planet.

Oh yeah, I hear it may be open season on drones soon :flute:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you can handle the recoil of a 300 Mag, you'll be able to handle a 45-70. Your 2X7 scope would be perfect on it and the asking price is not bad.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will not regret buying it. I promise. My 1895 is a 1994, so it does have the safety, but she looks brand new and is always welcome in my home. ALL .45-70s are welcome in my home!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts