Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all. Just acquired my first long gun last month -- an 1894C. Love shooting it, love the feel of the lever action. Now I want to get some more rifles, become a competent rifleman. I think my first step will be to get a 39A in .22LR, put a scope on it, and shoot it for a good long time to build skill. Then I'll think about a proper deer rifle.

So here's my question about the 39A, applicable to lever-action .22s generally.

I have a lot of 40 gr CCI Mini-Mag solid ammo around the house, as I shoot it in my trusty Buck Mark pistol. Now, I've been warned not to use FMJs or other pointy-nosed ammo in my 1894C or any other centerfire rifle with a tube magazine. It might set off the primers and cause a chain fire. Duly noted.

But can't one use pointy .22 LR ammo for practice and target shooting in a rimfire lever rifle? My sketchy understanding of how rimfire cartridges work suggests that there would not be a problem.

Granted, good .22 hollowpoints are neither expensive nor hard to find; CCI makes a 36 gr HP Mini-Mag, in fact. Just curious whether I could also use the ammo I already have. Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't found ammo that my 39A won't shoot. I mostly use bulk pack stuff, but I have shot quite a few other types. Although the 39A is able to shoot shorts and longs, I have never used anything but long rifles.

I think the CCI mini-mags should prove to be an excellent ammo for your rifle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
P. Plainsman,

You're right. It would not be a problem. Bullet shape is not a safety concern in rimfires with tubular magazines like it is with centerfires.

In a centerfire with a tubular magazine the cartridges sit bullet to primer. If you have a pointed bullet the recoil can be enough to detonate the primer in front of it. With rimfires the primer is in the rim of the cartridge so there is no danger of this type of ignition. I would recommend that you check your centerfire cartridges for safety in the tube mag by holding the bullet to the primer. If the bullet contacts the primer at all then it is not safe.

You will love the 39a.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You could also consider the Marlin 1897 Texan. It is functionally the equivalent of the 39A, but with markedly different looks. It is a straight grip, 20" octagonal barrel. The quality is the same. It is a bit handier. it is no longer in Marlin's catalog but many are still available in gun shops or through the internet.

I just happen to like it better than the 39A, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Good luck, and let us know what you got!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow Luisyamaha. I thought the 39a's are expensive. The cheapest 1897T with a 20" barrel on GunBroker has a buy it now of $550. Is that really the going rate for them? The 1897T issharp looking with that octagon barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts