Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am purchasing a Marlin 1894C (H?) .357 rifle from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Unfortunately, the local store doesn't seem to handle the inventory well, so I would like to know if a few things I saw on the gun are acceptable before I pick it up (10 day waiting period out here in the Peoples Republic of California...).

The boxes for the only two 1894C's in stock were pretty beat up, which gave me some concern about their handling (even more when the sales clerk stood the gun on its muzzle while leaning it against the counter).

There is a sheet metal shroud around the front sight, but it looks like a temporary piece placed there for shipping to prevent damage to the sight. The display rifle did not have a shroud, but there are two small grooves on the sides of the front side where the shroud would fit. The shroud on the rifle I am purchasing does not seem true; it seems a little askew. Is this just a temporary piece as I have surmised, or should I be concerned?

Also, on the bottom of the receiver forward of the lever there is a small, rounded pin protruding out the bottom of the receiver. This pin moves freely into and out of the bottom of the receiver. What is this pin, and is this normal?

There is a tab on the lever that seats into the receiver when the action is closed; this tab seems to rub against the slot in the receiver, and the blueing is already showing wear on this tab from the few times the action has been cycled. Is this normal?

The gun has no scratches or other blemishes, and has a small piece of shrink-wrap plastic over the end of the barrel. The box, while battered, has the appropriate documentation, the gun lock, and the extension for the hammer spur. Other than the details I noted above, it seems to be in good shape. Should I be worried about a bent barrel due to handling, or other such defects?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The sheet metal shroud is called a sight hood. The sight hood is not intended to be temporary. You can take it off, but the factory intends it to be a permanent feature.

The pin motion and lever wear you speak of is completely normal. The pin is part of the rifle's safety system.

It isn't easy to bend a gun barrel in the shop unless they run a fork lift over it or some such. I wouldn't be worried about that. But due to the handling issues you describe, I'd check the muzzle crown carefully for dings before I paid.

·
Registered
355 Posts
imashooter2 said:
The sheet metal shroud is called a sight hood. The sight hood is not intended to be temporary. You can take it off, but the factory intends it to be a permanent feature.

The pin motion and lever wear you speak of is completely normal. The pin is part of the rifle's safety system.

It isn't easy to bend a gun barrel in the shop unless they run a fork lift over it or some such. I wouldn't be worried about that. But due to the handling issues you describe, I'd check the muzzle crown carefully for dings before I paid.
Ditto...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went down today to take a closer look and it appears that both the front and rear sights are rotated, as if the barrel has been rotated. Looking from the rear of the gun, held at arms length, the problem is obvious. The clerks at the store all agreed that there was a problem with this gun.

The only other one they had in stock was missing the front sight hood, and also the rear portion of the rear sight. It also looked like it had been disassembled, as there were marks around one of the steel pin holes where the punch had contacted the receiver.

I asked them to get me another one; they are going to see if their warehouse has another that can be shipped to them. I will be inspecting that one carefully...

I do not think that this is a Marlin problem; I think that these guns were handled poorly in the store's inventory, or perhaps at least one was a return.

Anyway, we'll see how the next one is.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Opps... should read before replying.

Deleted my sad advice on changing sight hoods since the rear sight is damaged too.

Hope they have another rifle for you at the warehouse. The 1894C is lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
noygdb said:
I went down today to take a closer look and it appears that both the front and rear sights are rotated, as if the barrel has been rotated. Looking from the rear of the gun, held at arms length, the problem is obvious. The clerks at the store all agreed that there was a problem with this gun.

The only other one they had in stock was missing the front sight hood, and also the rear portion of the rear sight. It also looked like it had been disassembled, as there were marks around one of the steel pin holes where the punch had contacted the receiver.

I asked them to get me another one; they are going to see if their warehouse has another that can be shipped to them. I will be inspecting that one carefully...

I do not think that this is a Marlin problem; I think that these guns were handled poorly in the store's inventory, or perhaps at least one was a return.

Anyway, we'll see how the next one is.

Steve
Steve, I don't know if this is important to you or not, but Big 5 sells 2 different types of 1894's. One comes with a Walnut stock and forearm, the other comes with a Walnut stained stock and forearm.

Check the box that the gun comes in, it will identify the wood on the gun.

Im afraid that the sight placement on the barrel end is a Marlin problem and seems to be rearing its ugly head more and more nowadays. For some reason they just can't seem to get them on straight.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cannot seem to find any other version of the 1894 at Big 5 other than the 1894CH model (H for 'hardwood' other than walnut). Most of the examples were pretty bad - overall, I saw the following:

#1: Barrel rotated
#2: Missing parts, and showing signs of improper disassembly
#3: Loose stock (left -to-right wobble; tightening didn't help)
#4: So far, seems OK

Also, something else interesting I noticed: All had '95' for a date code (2005 manufacture), but 2 had serial numbers on the side of the receiver, while 2 had serial numbers on the tang. I have read (on the Marlin web site) that only Cowboy models have the serial number on the side, but these were NOT "Cowboy" models. I'm beginning to wonder if these aren't made of spare parts laying around the factory (this is not fact, just conjecture - no flames, please!). Seems weird, anyway... Also, the finish on #'s 1 and 2 was noticeably worse than the other two.

I purchased #4, but in the Peoples Republic of California I have to wait 10 days to pick it up. Hopefully, it shoots well. In any event, it was only $320.

Given the option to purchase a 1894C w/real black walnut stock for $480 or this 1894CH for $320, what would you do?

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Go to Wally World (maybe the Wally Worlds in Kalifornistan don't sell guns). Special order guns Marlin 1894C $379.83, Black Walnut stock Ballard rifling etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, Wall-World does not sell guns in California, thanks to the DOJ. That's where I would have purchased the gun, if they still carried them. It's getting harder and harder to find sporting firearms in California, and when you can they are generally overpriced due to lack of availability.

I hope to move soon... Not only is this state's legislature (for political purposes only, I might add) extremely anti-gun, but they tax the living hell out of me.

Steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anybody know how often Marlin makes a run of these 1894Cs? I ordered one at WalMart a full month ago. They said the distributor was out and they would have to wait until they got some from the factory. I'm getting impatient!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't answer the question about how often Big 5 get's a run of their "bargain" 1894C's... can only say that I used to see them advertised on a fairly regular basis, i.e. every other month or so, and recently have not noticed them being advertised.

That could very well be because I have not been following them since the point in time that I picked up my "bargain" 1894C from Big 5. But I do wonder if they are not pushing them as actively as they did several years ago?

I have been satisfied with my Big 5 "bargain" 1894C. The only issue I could complain about would be that the buttstock and forearm were not a very good match as far as stain or grain pattern were concerned.

Since this was never intended to be anything other than a "truck gun" and I have plenty of guns in my safe to get all anal/compulsive over this was actually a blessing in disguise because it shoots straight and what else is really important for a <$300 rifle?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got one from Big 5 recently and it is in very good condition, except for a few tiny raised spots of a tarry looking substance on the buttstock near the bottom. I have no idea what it is, it is pretty hard, it did not come off w/ acetone, I ended up steel wool-ing it. I stained it darker too w/ an alcohol based "dye". It turned out well but the wood soaks up water like you wouldn't believe, I got it a bit damp in the rain and it raised up near the buttstock, where water got in between, so now it looks kinda warped. I was searching for some replacement synthetic camo stocks but don't seem to be having any luck. This thing is very accurate, I can't complain for what I got it for on sale, I am reloading this caliber so it is that much more fun. It is a beater but I would still like to replace the stocks w/ plastic and "save" the not so great softwood stocks in the box. My only other complaint is the poor sights (for my eyes anyway, they are great close up but may get some thing else). Oh and the other thing is the sharp edges, I ended up dehorning the lever and then cannot seem to blue it up too well w/ Casey's cold blue liquid, any suggestions for this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts