Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me a Marlin 1894 in the 44 mag caliber. He has no kids to pass down his guns to and I do. It was made around 1975 so it has micro-groove rifling. I’m shooting jacketed 240 grains bullets that I hand load. The gun has only had about 40 rounds fired through it to date. I will use the gun mostly for punching holes in paper. Since my 29-year old eyes have and additional 30 years of experience, I have scoped most of my guns. I would like to mount a 4 power or 1-4x variable scope on this gun. I want a small scope about the size of a shotgun scope. From Midway’s catalog it looks like I need a Weaver 63B base. What type of rings will fit this base? Any suggestions of the brand or model of scope I should be looking for? I don’t want to go to a ghost ring as I don’t feel I would gain anything with this sight.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Once you pick out a scope you can match the rings. So what's your budget for the glass?

A nice Weaver 1-3x20 for $150:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/849400/weaver_1-3x20_classic_v3_series_rifle_scope.htm

A nicer 1-4x20 Leupold for twice that price:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU56700/leupold_1-4x20_vx-ii_riflescope.htm

And if money is no object, there's always the 1.1-4x24 Schmidt & Bender:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/9767Z/schmidt_bender_1.1-4x24_zenith_30mm_rifle_scope.htm

a veritable steal at only $1,400. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
You might also consider the Redfield one-piece steel mount for that 1894. I have two of these and they are really great. All steel, super tough, uses Redfield, Leupold, or Millet rings which are common, and has adjustment at the rear for gross windage.

I have a Leupold 2X7 compact on my 32 H&R 1894 currently. I also like the Nikon Prostaff scopes, especially their 2X7 model. It goes for about $129 and is really clear and a reliable scope. 1X4 powers scopes are nice too as stated above.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since this gun will only be used on paper and probably no more then 2-4 times a year, I'd like to keep the cost of the scope under $200. I also do not want to have to modify the receiver in any way, just screw the mount down with holes already there. I held this rifle up against my H&R slug gun for a comparison of the scope size. The shotgun scope didn't look too big or out of place on the 1894, so I want a scope that is small. I'll look at the less expensive models suggested. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I am a Leupold fan and for reasons that I will not bore you with. But Weaver and Redfield have come a long way since being taken over by Mead. Either of these would be a great choice.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You might consider the Leupold Rifleman in 2-7, it is a nice compact scope that you can get at Walmart for under $200 and it is a Leupold through and through. I have always used the Weaver mounts and rings, which you can also get at walmart.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I bought my base and rings from Marlin. I believe they're made by Tasco and only cost about $12.00. I have a Leupold 1-4X20mm on it and have had no problems through at least 1,000 rounds. Clean and de-grease the mount screws and holes and apply some Loc-tite. Every other screw on my SS model shoots loose except for the scope and mount. That 1-4X20mm looks right on the rifle.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I've never been a fan of BSA scopes, but I picked up a cute little 2X pistol scope, and stuck it in a Scout Mount on my 1894SS in 44 Mag. After about a thousand rounds, nothing has moved, even shooting 200+ 300-grainers over a stiff charge of Lil Gun. Some of those loads were enough to loosen fillings from a bench, but the silly things holds Zero like it's welded in place. I'm convinced fixed power scopes handle recoil better than adjustables, and for a total cost under a hundred bucks, I'm quite taken with the scope and mount. The gun is quick to the shoulder, the eye relief is great for snap shooting, and even off a bench it's fun to shoot with somewhat reduced loads. Now if I could just peel it out of my son's hands once in a while....... :roll:

Papajohn

G

·
GLC said:
You might also consider the Redfield one-piece steel mount for that 1894. I have two of these and they are really great. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I agree the Redfield is a better mount then the Redfield , although they seem to be a little difficult to find lately :?

G

·
6pt-sika said:
GLC said:
You might also consider the Redfield one-piece steel mount for that 1894. I have two of these and they are really great. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I agree the Redfield is a better mount then the Weaver , although they seem to be a little difficult to find lately :?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll probably catch greif about this but here goes. Went to a gun show in Harrisburg, PA. Three different people were selling a scope made in China called NcStar for $30-$35. It was very small, 7.75 inches in length. It's a 2-6x28mm. I figured I shoot this gun maybe 3-4 times a year at targets, so for $30 how can I go wrong? The scope carries a lifetime warranty and is serviced in California. I paid $9 for rings at BassPro and $11 for a 63B Weaver mount. I shot 10 rounds getting the scope to zero as I don't have a bore sighter. The last two shots were in the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter but it was only at 35 yards. (It started to rain before I could move the target out to 50 yards or more) If it falls apart I've only lost $30. The little I shot it, I like it and because of the small size it looks great on the small size of the 1894. I do appreciate all the suggestions and help.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
As long as it works for you that is all that matters. Now you just have to get out and shoot it more.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have not had a problem finding the Redfield 1894 mount through Brownells. I have ordered mine from there and it was never out of stock. All steel and rock solid.

I recently picked up a Warne set from Cabela's for my 1895SS. They are more expensive but also solid. All steel and will work on the 1895,336, and the 1894 since its a two piece base set up.

FYI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote [Now you just have to get out and shoot it more.] I know big medicine. I have considered joining a local gun club but it's $200 per year and between, fishing, hunting, and my Corvette, there not enough time to justify the $200. Most of the time when I shoot it's at my sister's farm which is a 2 hour drive from me, but I do get to visit her at the same time.

G

·
Redfield Base

Just an FYI, Brownell's web site now lists the Redfield JR MA4 base for the 1894 as "dropped by factory." And out of stock. IMHO, this is the best scope base for the 94. Anyone who can find one better snap it up, cause there may be no more... Seems really stupid to drop an excellent product for which there's good demand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts