Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy one of the 44PG's that looks NIB. Not sure what the going value is on them? I can find the 41FG's at GB for $800-$900. But can't seem to locate a 44Mag. PG. Anyone have any idea what one of the 44PG's would be worth? Also does anyone know how many of each of 41FG's and 44PG's were made? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
In october or November of 2010, I bought one at buds gunshop online for like $432, when it was delivered it was missing the rear sight and it had been coated in what I now believe was linseed oil or varnish. They knocked off another $50 and I spend about 3 hours scrubbing the metal patrs with laquer thinner.

The gun was nearly perfect once It was cleaned. I took the PG parts and put them on my CB. Gave the resulting 44 mag with straight grips to my son for Xmas.

It is still listed on their site. For an actual cost of $382 plus the transfer fee of $25 I feel like I was extremely lucky.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I sold my 1894PG 44 mag was in 95% plus condition first of the year got $650 shipped
also sold my 1894FG was mint also got $850 shipped for it.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I think I paid around $500 for my PG back in 2004. I haven't seen one on the market for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I have not even seen a 44 for sale in a while, but I did just see a 41 go for $750. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are and how bad you want it.

I don't believe I'd go 9 bills, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
My 1894 is a plain jane .44 Mag - - I have never even seen an 1894PG around here.

Bought my 1894 new for $425 back in 2008, added a Skinner sight, stripped the Marshield off, refinished the stock with an oil finish, and never bothered to look back. I am assuming the 1894PG .44 mag is about like mine, but with a pistol grip butt stock. Are there other differences as well?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There seems to be several FGs showing up lately on GB, with goofy prices. But I rarely see PGs. Not really looking for them either though. I do semi-actively search for .41 Mag anything. Got my PG in '04 for $440 I think, and paid $500 in '08 for a new FG.
Glad I got both mine, wouldn't pay the $$ people ask for 'em nowdays, but ain't sellin either.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
DWB
I am assuming the 1894PG .44 mag is about like mine, but with a pistol grip butt stock. Are there other differences as well?
Yeah...500 of 'em...$$$. :eek: ;D

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
City Slicker said:
DWB
Yeah...500 of 'em...$$$. :eek: ;D
Probably explains why I have never seen or handled one. Those that have them evidently aren't too thrilled about letting them go. If the going price is $500 more than my regular plain jane 1894, it is out of my reach.

Just as well keep my eye out for a Kimber rifle chambered in .325 WSM or .338RCM - - or something along those lines. No way I will spend $800 (or more) for a Marlin, $600 for a new .444XLR back in 2008 was bad enough.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I don't know for how many years or how many were made, but the short supply coupled with Remington buying Marlin has really driven prices crazy.

I prefer the pistol grip stock, so a few years ago I sold my straight grip stock 44 to a friend with the intention of buy the PG. That was a mistake because now I have neither one. :'( :'(

I know I am never letting my .41FG go. ;D

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I did see a .41FG once. It was put on the rack at the LGS, stayed there for a total of 10 minutes according to the employee that put it out. I saw it a some lucky customer was filling out his paperwork. I have had the opportunity to shoot only a couple of .41's - - both S&W handguns, and they were very nice, smooth, and pleasant to shoot. Rarely see them around here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had a PG, bought new in 04 or 05, paid less than $500 NIB for it. Sold it to fund a trip and ever since I wish I had sold something else. I hardly ever see them online for sale and nobody local has them either.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seen a 41FG today at the Centre Hall gun show and it was marked $900. Seems to be the going price for those.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can't remember what I paid for mine brand new but I had aFG and hated the pistol grip stock on the 94. I found a guy here willing to swap parts and turned my 1894FG into a 41mag witha straight stock like they made in the 80's. I am much more happy with it now. I know that I absolutely destroyed the collector value but I could care less because it will be mine until I can no longer enjoy it.
Goat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts