Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am new to this forum. A freind gave me a Marlin rifle that has been in their family a long time. They told me that they do not want anything for it. The person that gave it to me is not into guns at all and did not want this rifle. I am normally a collector of old military firearms and do not know much about these types of rifles. I am hoping you guys can help me out. The rifle has 38-W on the octogan barrel and it also says "Marlin Firearms CO, New Haven CT. USA, Patented Octoer 11, 1887. The serial number is 20812. I am looking for information about this rifle and about how much it may be worth. If it is worth some money, I would like to let my friend know so I can pay him something for it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

First off it is a model 1888. They were only made for 2 years. With a total of around 4803 made. Your dates to 1888.
As to value it is hard to tell buy pictures. But it is probably in the $1200-1500 range, maybe up to $2000. Depending on bore, and if it is still in workable condition. And if there is any original finish left. Hard to tell, by you pictures.
Hope that helps.
I wish I had a friend like yours. I would love to buy a 1888, let along have one given to me.
Almost forgot 38-W is the same as 38-40.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That is crazy. I see these story's across the internet all over the place about Friends and neighbors that gave High Dollar Collectible Firearms away to people.

I am beginning to wander why it never happens to me:biggrin:

Welcome and you are very fortunate to have gotten that at all. Let alone for FREE.

Very Nice Rifle.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

First off it is a model 1888. They were only made for 2 years. With a total of around 4803 made. Your dates to 1888.
As to value it is hard to tell buy pictures. But it is probably in the $1200-1500 range, maybe up to $2000. Depending on bore, and if it is still in workable condition. And if there is any original finish left. Hard to tell, by you pictures.
Hope that helps.
I wish I had a friend like yours. I would love to buy a 1888, let along have one given to me.
Almost forgot 38-W is the same as 38-40.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-collectors/143188-model-1888-32-20-a.html
Here's one for sale

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I was looking on there sight, and couldn't find it. Not that I have the money for it right now.:'(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts