Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating shortening of my 336 20 inch barrel. I want the original look with the magazine barrel band. Originally I thought of 18.5 inches but the screw hole indention on the barrel of the present magazine barrel band would not appear to allow that(the screw indention is 2.5 inches from the muzzle), so 16.25 seems the second choice.

Does the original magazine spring need to be shortened?

Can the original magazine barrel band and screw be reused?

I have seen the front sight handled either with a dovetail sight behind the barrel band or using the same arrangement with ramp sight and hood in front of the barrel band, basically just moving everything back a few inches. Can the front sight be reused? Any advantages to either method?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Never had a deer complain about the barrel being too short. ;D In the .35 Rem I don't see much difference in velosity. Don't know about the .30-30 but it is hell on deer.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
For the life Of me I can not figure why folks would want to degrade a rifle.
All you do is cut new dovetails. Dont forget to use an 11 degree crowning tool on the muzzle.

·
Premium Member
11,078 Posts
Finnwolf,

I have done exactly what you are contemplating.

No, the mag spring can be used as is.
Yes, the original barrel band can also be used.
The original front sight base can be re-positioned via new #6-48 tapped holes.

As far as velocity goes, the 35 Rem really didn't lose a thing with my hand loads, and the loads I'm referring to, are not above Max either. Velocity of my loads is 1980 to 2050 FSP Re: accuracy, I used a conventional radiused crown like the original. My rifle will shoot 5 shots into a 1.75" group with a 2.5X leupold scope at 100 yards off the bench.

The end result for me, was a rifle that is 34" long and carries so well in steep terrain that i've never wanted to go back to a 20" barrel.

Here's the rifle in the pics below.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Tomray...that is a beautiful rifle and I will save it to show my gunsmith.

My questions about the front sight and dovetails concerned the old style Marlin sights which slid into a dovetail. It seems to me that the new sights with the wide scan hoods would be less likely to be caught up on something. I assume each is effective for shooting. I don't know if tapping holes is cheaper than cutting dovetails though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question---Why is it that the magazine tube is always a little bit shorter than the barrel?

·
Premium Member
11,078 Posts
Finnwolf said:
My questions about the front sight and dovetails concerned the old style Marlin sights which slid into a dovetail. It seems to me that the new sights with the wide scan hoods would be less likely to be caught up on something. I assume each is effective for shooting. I don't know if tapping holes is cheaper than cutting dovetails though!

Finn,

The style of sight you choose is up to you when doing a shorter barrel modification. It can be a matter of personal taste. The cost of cutting a dove tail or tapping holes is about the same..........but the actual cost will depend on the tools and skills of the gunsmith. If I were to choose, I'd go for the tapped holes.........they are less intrusive on the barrel, if a mistake is made.

As far as the mag tube being a little shorter than the barrel, That is at the wim of the guy designing the parts od the rifle, for the most part. If you look at an 1895 LTD III, the tube is the same length as the barrel...........thats just the way the designer thought it should be. When I released the 1895 CBA,
I like the more traditional look of tube being 1/4" behind the crown...........so thats the way I did it.
300 CBA's were made for V.F.Grace in Alaska..........Sarah Palin has #001 and I have the original proto-type. here's a picture of that proto-type.

Tom

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been contemplating a similar conversion on one of my 336's. I've come to the conclusion that I can leave the front band in it's original location, shorten the barrel 1 1/2", (the tube also) and place the front sight behind the band in a dovetail (like the early 336's). I like the early band/sight relationship better than a front ramp myself since I don't use a hood anyway.
Good luck with yours,
Rick

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tom,

Which end of the magazine did you cut?
The receiver end or muzzle end ?

It seems that there are pros and cons of which end you chose to cut.

·
Premium Member
11,078 Posts
lot_45 said:
Tom,

Which end of the magazine did you cut?
The receiver end or muzzle end ?

It seems that there are pros and cons of which end you chose to cut.
If the mag tube does not have a cartridge bulge at the receiver end, cut the receiver end........If it has the bulge, your are forced to cut the muzzle end and re drill the holes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tom, nice and beautiful are understatements!!! You don't want me too close to that rifle----I am not a thief but...................

tks

·
Premium Member
11,078 Posts
caveman said:
Tom, nice and beautiful are understatements!!! You don't want me too close to that rifle----I am not a thief but...................

tks
Caveman,

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Which one are you referring to? The short 336/35rem? or the 1895?

Tom

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Tomray said:
Caveman,

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Which one are you referring to? The short 336/35rem? or the 1895?

Tom
I think he means either one. I know I do. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts