Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Questions on a pair of 336's

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  happypappy 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. Have a couple of 336s, one in .35 and another in 30-30. Both of these guns came from my 90 year old uncle and were given to me. He and I both enjoy the gun passion! My questions are: Has anyone gone with the lighter trigger springs, custom light pull triggers, etc.? I want to hunt with these guns and currently have the 35 set up with the Burris Scout Scope and the 30-30 (given to me last week) has a standard scope on it. Also, it seems to me I remember seeing a large hoop lever somewhere for around the $79 dollar mark. Have found the ones for $149 but thats a little rich for me. Thanks for the help!

#5 ·
HP- Wolff makes hammer and lever latch springs, I have an 1895 that I installed a reduced power hammer spring, Jim West trigger and Long Hunter one piece titanium firing pin and I'm VERY impressed, the components are well worth the money. This setup is definately the real deal. :wink:

#9 ·
I know of a gent who installed a loop on his rifle. He said that it compromised the handling of the rifle especially at the range. It also hung on things when he took it hunting, would not fit into it's sheath and made for slower action because of the extra travel his hand had to make while cocking the rifle.

The only advantage was that it allowed him to wear gloves which a conventional oversized lever would do.

This is the only "after purchase" feed back I know. There may be others who think differently.

SS

#11 ·
The one pice firing pin may -?- slick the action up a tiny bit. The locking lug does not need to depress the spring that keeps the rear portion of the pin out of battery until full lock up.

Just a guess.

And I think I read somewhere that the two piece pin can bind in it's bore and cause erratic ignition. But caint 'member like i used to.

#12 ·
Yup, thats the only reason I can see. I'v heard people say its smoother but I have one & feel no difference, this in a 60 year old gun thats smooth as butter.
I wouldn't use a reduced tension hammer spring in a hunting gun either. I tried that & got a missfire at the wrong time. I got my deer cuz the "snap" of trhe hammer just caused him to look around & the second time the gun went bang but that spring aint in there anymore. A little work on the sear & hammer notch will turn a 336 trigger into something nice. Marlin dont smooth these surfaces off very nice from the factory.
I installed the one piece in a process of elimination as the gun was giving me trouble. It fixed it fine & I left it for now but fully intend on getting the right part in there when I get around to it. It defeats a very good passive saftey feature of Marlin centerfire lever actions.

#14 ·
I installed a wild west happy trigger last year before whitetail deer season. I did not know what the trigger pull was before. All I knew was that if felt like I was trying to tow my pickup truck up a hill before it went bang. Also the Marlin trigger flop really bothered me. I knew it was the way it was supposed to be but it really bugged me.

Well anyhow, I replaced the two peice Marlin trigger with the one peice wild west trigger. Well the trigger flop was eliminated. :p And the trigger pull was much improved. :lol: Again I do not have the means to measure the pull weight. But it was noticibly lighter.

I am very happy with the results. But I did think the price they want for the wild west trigger was high.

I have read all kinds of things about lightining up the trigger pull. Most involve filing, honing etc. Not being a gun smith beyond cleaning a gun. I did not want to get into honing etc. Also none of those methods got rid of the floppy trigger. So I really had not much choice but to pay the price.

I would recommend the happy trigger. I got mine from MidwayUSA

#15 ·
Leverpuller said:
Been meaning to ask this question for a while..........What would be the advantage of a one piece firing pin over a two piece pin? The only thing I can think of is a shorter lock-time? Would this be the reason?
The one piece firing pin will smooth out the action a little just as the lever closes but the main reasons for using them is they are less apt to breakage on guns that are used hard like in CAS and they are alot lighter than the stock pins so one can install a reduced power main spring to REALLY smooth out the action and reduce wear and not have to worry about misfires. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting injured due to a one piece pin. Sheriff Jim Wilson has a good write up on them on Leverguns.com. Hope this helps. :wink:

#16 ·
Thank you Redhammer. That sheds some light on the subject for me. A hunter's "smooth action" would differ greatly than a CAS shooter's " smooth action". And I'm just a backwoods hunter.

Being a lover of old western style firearms, I would love to attend one of these events, but I never hear of any in this area. I have seen them featured on some outdoor TV shows. I was amazed on how fast they could work a lever action rifle. I was thinking that they might have shortened the action somehow. In any case, it was very impressive shooting.

#17 ·
Well for me.....main reason I am asking is for the smoothness of the trigger pull and a lighter trigger.....so I don't anticipate the big bang as much !! Sometimes when I go shooting I slow down and shoot a .22 for a while to calm down then go back to the bigger stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.