Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started reloading a couple of years ago using a Lee turret press and only Lee dies. For the 338MX I just bought, the only dies that I seen thus far are from Hornady (their # 546359) that has 2 dies (1 full length sizer and 1 seating die); and from RCBS which I think has 4 dies. I have the following questions:

(a) can I use the Hornady or RCBS dies with my Lee turret?
(b) which would be better Hornady or RCBS (I would think Hornady)
(c) what do I use for shell holders in my Lee turret press?
(d) what do I use for crimping especially with the Hornady since all they have is the FL & seating die
(e) do you always FL size or do you neck size and if so, I assume it has to be with the RCBS die?
(f) I only have Rem 9-1/2 primers, are these OK?
(g) does anyone know where I can buy a hammer extension - flat ones with JM on it?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated & my apologies if this info has been posted b4. Oh one last question, is there a Team 338MX as I would like to join. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
A. you can use just about any dies with you lee press
B. Either will serve you well. I use Hornady.
C. You can use any brand shell holder in you Lee press as long as it fits the 338mx
D. The Hornady die seats and crimp in one step if set up that way.
E. I just full length resize then trim my cases in 338mx. You can neck size if that is on the only rifle you shoot the ammo in.
F. You can use what ever large rifle primer your heart desires. The charge size of 338mx isn't hard to ignite.
G. Can't help you there except to want the classifieds and online auction sites.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use the Hornady die's and they seem to be OK but the only shell holder I could get here in town was a RCBS and it has a sloppy fit on the rim. it's a 44# and suppose to fit 338 me and 500 S&W. the Hornaday shell holder is a 52# and I will have to order it but it should fit better I hope.Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Al, I have the Hornady dies and shell holder. I prefer RCBS dies. But the ones I got were free.

A flat hammer spur is not going to fit your 338 MX. They only fit the older guns before the safety...1957 - 1983.

I bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 338. It's not a stock item. You send them a dummy round and $25 and they make one for you.

I FL size all my brass...for every caliber I load...but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the info.
Halwg said:
I bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 338. It's not a stock item. You send them a dummy round and $25 and they make one for you.

I FL size all my brass...for every caliber I load...but that's just me.
Hal: By dummy round you mean one that has been F/L sized and has no primer? Did you also include an FTX bullet? Thx for all the info. This helps a lot. BTW, I know you'll be happy to know that I updated my spreadsheets and ordered some Hornady cases, FTXs and AA2520 so we will be able to compare notes with both the 35 and the 338.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
2shotal said:
Thanks to all for the info.Hal: By dummy round you mean one that has been F/L sized and has no primer? Did you also include an FTX bullet? Thx for all the info. This helps a lot. BTW, I know you'll be happy to know that I updated my spreadsheets and ordered some Hornady cases, FTXs and AA2520 so we will be able to compare notes with both the 35 and the 338.
Yes, you resize, deprime, and seat a bullet. You send the round to them and they make you a FCD. Turn around for mine was only 2 weeks. And they will return your round so you don't lose the bullet or brass.

I shot my handload of 45.7 gr AA2520 through the Chrony today. Average velocity - 2390 fps with an SD of 16. You can take that load to 46.5 gr. I'm going to try again. I was hoping for 2450 fps.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Hal,
It sounds like it coming together. You ever do any work with a 225gr in 338?

·
Registered
274 Posts
styk most seating and crimp dies will sqeeze or" roll" the crimp around the bullet to hold it in the case,lees factory crimp die uses a collet inside a tapered body to provide even pressure on the case and thus minimize the possibility of crushing or over crimping the case.i had one for a 6.5x55 swede and it was pretty nice. the rest of my dies i have i just started the bullett a little long and adjusted until it hit in the middle of the cannelure . the first time i reloaded years ago ,i ruined eight 30-06 cases before i wa told you only have to bump it to crimp it

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
stykbow57 said:
Hal! what is the advantage of the lee factory crimp die? doesn't the hornaday die crimp the case? Dennis
Basically what Plumber Crack said. I have them for all the rounds I crimp, and even have one for my 30-06. I have 30-30, 35 Remington, 338 Marlin, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, and 30-06. For $12 - $15 they are well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have only used Lee dies/presses since I started reloading and I have and used the LFCD on all my calibers (.223, .270, 35rem) but when I did not see it for the new 338MX, I did not know that I could special order and have one made by Lee...... that is a great service :D BTW Hal, what case OAL are you trimming your 338MX cases to?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I made sure all my new brass was set at 1.88". After 3 firings and resizing I have not experienced any case stretch. Hornady says you can go to 1.89"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts