Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a revolver to carry with my 444S when hog hunting and I just picked up a well worn (mostly by holster) but tight Ruger Old Army .44 at a great price and have a few questions.

The serial # indicates that the gun was sold in 1974. The bore measures .451. What round balls and/or projectiles/powder should I purchase?

I would like to purchase one of the drop in cylinders to also shoot regular cartridges. If I purchase or locate one of the drop ins does that mean that the gun will then shoot .45 cal? If so, what cartridge do you recommend? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks folks,

Dave 8)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I beleive that Ruger recommends a .454 ball. About 30 or .35 grains of 3F equivilent would be a good starting point. I dont own one of these but a friend does and I have shot it. It is a good gun. I dont know about a drop in cylinder that would convert it to fire cartridges. It may well be available but I just havent studied up on that. I do know that conversions can be made to cap n ball pistols to convert them to cartridge pistols.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I shoot a .457 ball that is the recommended size for the Ruger Old Army. You will also find that an empty 44 Magnum hull will hold the right amount of powder for a near maximum charge for the individual cylinders (Approximately 40 to 45 grains, though I have not measured it). I understand the Ruger Old Army is built on the Super Blackhawk frame and there is simply not enough room in the chambers to overcharge to create a pressure problem. However, you can very easily put so much powder in it that you can not compress the ball enough for the cylinder to spin. These are great back-up/second guns for whitetail muzzleloading season where they are legal.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot folks,

Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
The R&D drop in cylinders convert the Old Army to .45 long colt. You can fire smokeless or BP loaded cartridges, though BP would be more fun!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
vtdw

Do you still have the OL Army

Have you taken it w you on hunting trips

Did you get a new cyclinder

Have you tried Pyrodex pellets

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
dave