Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of making modifications to my 1895SS and would like some input on the sights I'm considering. Is anyone using Skinner's winged front and rear sights and what is your opinion?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't tell you about the winged sights but Skinner is a very reputable company. If its a product you think you want, I'm sure it will fit your needs and surpass your expectations.

I have and Express rear and a front sight from Skinner and I can't help but get some admiration at the range. It feels good as a young guy when more seasoned shooters ooo and ahhh.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a winger rear on my 1894P. Love the sight, but don't expect to be able to change the aperture quickly/easily. Kind of the trade off for such a rugged sight!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice balancing job with the rifle! I had to hold my breath while I looked at the pics.:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Eaglestroker, what is it you like about the winged sight? (Trying to decide between the winged and reliable)
I run both the Express and the Winged sight on different guns. I'll just break it down into pros and cons.

Pros:
-Low profile
-Protected aperture
-Small footprint

Cons:
-Tough to adjust stem & aperture
-Limited windage adjustment (both style are not a quick adjust, but you can drift the dovetail in an express if needed/desired)

My express on the 1895 caught on my scabbard and would rotate the stem if it wasn't locked down tightly with the set screw. This rifle took over on scabbard duty and the protected stem solved the problem I had with it. Eventually I'll put a fiber optic front on to compliment the quick handling combo!

Reactions: rawhide

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
Good input from users. Some details that may help.

The sight sits the lowest of our base mounted sights. (.062" lower than our EXPRESS sights and .125" lower than the Reliable) Lower rear sight allows lower front sight height. (no worries with any of our sights since we do have front sights in many heights available and they can be "trimmed" for exact height as needed)

The sight has 14 - 16 MOA of elevation adjustment and 12 MOA (6 MOA each direction from center)

Apertures are protected by the WINGS so they are more difficult to reach with the fingers but can be changed as needed.

Personally, I use all our sight designs in the field and on the range. My favorite is still our EXPRESS sights (and ALASKAN) but all are very functional, rugged, and perform well.

Hope that helps!

ANDY

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone.

Reactions: Parson
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.