Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, these "Remlins" are pretty bad that's for sure! But I have a new one and I am going to keep it. I just won't buy anymore new ones.

Anyway, brand new 1895GS and right out of the box 4 screw head slots are buggered up when installed!
Both the small screws at the back of the receiver top. Front two are fine.
Both of the two SMALLER screws on the ejection side of the receiver.

Here's the questions:
1. Can I order new screws from Remlin or someplace else?
Nevermind, just called Remlin (Marlin) and they are sending them to me free!

2. Anyone know the part numbers (SS)?
Nevermind, girl on phone determined the numbers.

3. Can I just replace the two screws on the ejection side of the receiver without taking anything else apart? I know one is the loading gate screw and I think I can manage that. What about the one closest to the safety? Will I have to remove the buttstock to hold something while replacing that screw?

One other thing.......RATTLES!

I had a REAL MARLIN 1894CSS before and it had a trigger that rattled, this new Remlin 1895GS has something else rattling around in the receiver! It cycles OK. There is something rattling when you turn the gun over from one side to the other (even while holding the trigger in place so it does not rattle). What could this be? Am I gonna have a problem when I test fire it?

Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
You'll need to tear the rifle down to replace those screws. No big deal though. The instructions can be found here and it would probably be good to give it a thorough cleaning anyway.

The rattle is most likely just your carrier or the locking lug moving. You can see the tab of the carrier sticking out of the bottom of the gun just in front of the trigger. You can watch to see if it disappears when you move the gun around. Either way neither should be an issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eli Chaps said:
You'll need to tear the rifle down to replace those screws. No big deal though. The instructions can be found here and it would probably be good to give it a thorough cleaning anyway.

The rattle is most likely just your carrier or the locking lug moving. You can see the tab of the carrier sticking out of the bottom of the gun just in front of the trigger. You can watch to see if it disappears when you move the gun around. Either way neither should be an issue.
Thanks Erik. It was in fact the carrier. Thanks for easing my mind. I will look around on how to tear down the rifle.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
The carrier wont bounce around when the gun is loaded, the trigger will but at least its quiet. You'll need to yank the buttstock to get the hammer screw back in. You might get it out butthe spring will missalign the holes once its out. I'd pull the triggfer plate to get the gate screw in anyway. You need to flatten out the spring to start the screw & theres no easy way without reaching in & squeezing it.

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
Damn, spell check & I still look illiterate sometimes. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts