Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Have only used LeverEvolution in .45/70. It was slightly more accurate than several other factory loads. Son shot a deer with a .45/70 "gummy tip" last month. The deer died (which ain't sayin' much 'cause just about anything coming out of a.45/70 will kill a deer)! I don't hunt with them myself as I handload and I don't mess with those shortened cases.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I've killed several deer and antelope with them. Bought a couple cases cheap before I started loading for my 45/70. Accurate in my 1895

Reactions: StuttgartMadness

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering this too. It seems to be almost the cheapest you can find. Its almost good for just plinking lol.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
I believe if I didn't reload, I would use it a lot. It's reasonably priced, comparatively, it's pretty darn accurate in the 3 calibers I tried (30-30, 444 & 35), and it works great on deer. However I really don't like the shortened cases as stated above.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have tried it in the following calibers: 30/30, .35, and .444

I will say it is pretty accurate, reasonably priced, and easier to find then soft point ammo. I also noticed that it cycles better in my .35. I think it is great for 30-30 and .35

On another note, I had two incidents in which that ammo had sub par performance in my .444 when hunting. After that I only used superformance in my .444

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
My 336SS in 30-30 does not like the 160gr FTX rounds. I do not think that it is anything to do with the gun or the ammo per se, but is just a load/weight that hits the wrong harmonics in my particular rifle.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Have only used LeverEvolution in .45/70. It was slightly more accurate than several other factory loads. Son shot a deer with a .45/70 "gummy tip" last month. The deer died (which ain't sayin' much 'cause just about anything coming out of a.45/70 will kill a deer)! I don't hunt with them myself as I handload and I don't mess with those shortened cases.
I'm with Judson, I've shot a few out of my 95 and Ruger #1, they shot Ok, nothing special in the way of accuracy compared to other factory loads. I would like to try the 250gr but have never got my hands on any, nor anyone else I know. If they are like other 250's I have tried, accuracy was poor due to the limited bearing surface of the bullet. I stick with standard cases and Hornady 300gr XTP HP/IMR-3031. Good for anything that walks or crawls, and is accurate load in my rifles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering this too. It seems to be almost the cheapest you can find. Its almost good for just plinking lol.
That's what I use my Remington Core-Lokt's for, they are really cheap as dirt... $12 is some stores! But my local gun shop only has 170 gr. loads, and all my deer hunting is done under 100 yards, which is 150 gr. territory, I was looking for an alternative to my box of ancient 150 gr. handloads that are running out... And they carry 150 gr. Hornadys. But find some Core-Lokt for plinking, but open the box and check the shells before you buy, a whole box of mine were dented and the bullets weren't casted right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 336SS in 30-30 does not like the 160gr FTX rounds. I do not think that it is anything to do with the gun or the ammo per se, but is just a load/weight that hits the wrong harmonics in my particular rifle.
That's strange, especially seeing as how the original .30-30 bullet weight was 160 gr.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Every rifle has a particular bullet it favors. Has nothing to do with the cartridge. Everything to do with that rifles barrel harmonics.

Reactions: oleroy

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
:dito: My 336SS 30-30 does not like the 160 gr FTX ammo either, "BUT" my 308MX & 35 Rem is deadly accurate using the FTX ammo.

I do all of my reloading for the 308MX & 35 Rem using the 160 gr & 200 gr bullets & LEVERevolution powder.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Every rifle has a particular bullet it favors. Has nothing to do with the cartridge. Everything to do with that rifles barrel harmonics.
^^^^^^ :dito:

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
I use Lever Evolution 200 grain ammo in a Marlin 336 Chambered in 35 Remington. The guy I bought that rifle from a few years ago took down a good size PA Buck at 200 yards with the ammo. He had a Leupold scope on the rife and said that the buck took 1 step and was DRT. :goodnight: He was using Lever Evolution when he killed that buck. One of the reasons I bought the Hornady ammo is that it gives me a little longer range than plain jane flat nose ammunition in a lever gun. I have only shot that rifle with Lever Evolution at the range and my shots are several inches higher at 100 yards than flat nose 35 REM ammunition, if you can find it.

Hornady Lever Evolution is one of the few ammunition that is available for the 35 REM on a regular basis. So, its the best option out there and I can reach out a hit something at a longer range with my 35 REM Marlin.

I never had any feeding problems with it and every round I ever fired had no problems. It went BANG every time! :congrats:

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
Hornady Leverevolution ammo uses a double base high energy powder and double base powders are not temp stable. Single base powders are temp stable. With my 308MX, between summer and winter temps, I notice a large difference in velocity and POI. While very accurate in my 308MX, I do have to adjust to the change of POI depending upon season/temp.

In 30-30 it really depends on your rifle. My 30AS hates leverevolution and I cannot get it to group with any consistency. With either 150GR or 170GR Federal Blue Box my 30AS spits consistent sub moa. Same with Winchester Super X although I get a tad tighter groups with the 150GR. Whatever powder Federal and Winchester use produces consistent POI regardless of temp and tight groups.

My 32SPC prefers anything over leverevolution ammo. It's a tack driver with Federal and Winchester.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
9,268 Posts
PROS: Depending on the rifle it can be very accurate. It is reasonably priced. Tends to extend usable range of most calibers for which it is available. Pokes holes in game it is designed for.

CONS: Many users have found the bullets can expand more dramatically than is optimum creating fragmented projectiles inside the target. Is more expensive than some ammo that is just as suitable for the same application. Requires shortened cases for some cartridges (usually straight wall rifle and pistol).

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
12 Posts
To me there is no comparison between the Remington and Hornady ammo. In the 30-30 the lever evolution carries far far more energy out farther that the Remington ammo does. Not to mention the difference in drop. There is about 24" less drop on the 30-30 at 300 yards with the Hornady. As for the 444 the lever evolution is also what I'm shooting. I've not shot the Remington to compare it. On paper the Hornady is about 3" flatter shooting at about 150-200 yards than the Remington out of 24" test barrels according to specs. My springfield has a 24" barrel so we'll see soon how those two compare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PROS: Depending on the rifle it can be very accurate. It is reasonably priced. Tends to extend usable range of most calibers for which it is available. Pokes holes in game it is designed for.

CONS: Many users have found the bullets can expand more dramatically than is optimum creating fragmented projectiles inside the target. Is more expensive than some ammo that is just as suitable for the same application. Requires shortened cases for some cartridges (usually straight wall rifle and pistol).
I have taken several deer with the lever evolution and the superformance ammo in both the 30-30 and the 30-06 and as you said wow, watch your shot placement. I have blown some huge entrance holes and normal size exit holes which I found strange. The deer I shot the past 2 years had massive entrance holes and normal exit holes taking heart shots at 150 yards.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts