Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The other day I came across a 336 RC in .35 cal.. It has a full lenghth magazine and a straight grip stock. I've never, fully, understood the letter suffixes that Marlin uses. Can anyone tell me what the "RC" indicates?
Also, I remember that on the old Marlin Talk board that some members knew how to tell the year of manufacture by the serial number. Can anyone recall how that is done?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
TnNuc

·
Premium Member
9,146 Posts
The RC stands for Regular Carbine, they have the full length mag tube. There is a SC which is a Sporting Carbine it has a 3/4 mag tube.

As far as the serial number just subtract the first 2 numbers from 100 and that is the year it was made. For example if your # was 20XXXXX it would have been made in 1980.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
TennesseeNuc,

Did you buy that rifle? If it is fairly priced I'd buy it. If you do not want it I'm sure a board member may be interested. A straight gripped RC of any caliber is somewhat hard to come by but if it is a .35 it is a real find.

I'll bet the day is coming when we will say "I could have bought one of those for $300. a few years ago..."

Can you give an account of its condition and the price asked?

SS

·
0 Posts
I'm kinda partial to the SC's have all three(30-30,32,35) :!: All are early enough that they were not drilled and tapped 8)

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Tenneseenuc,

If this gun is for purchase I am definately interested. I had posted a couple of months ago as I was looking for one for some sentimental reasons and have been on the lookout for about a year..I believe the gun is probably made in the 50's to early 60's but chk the serial number and subtract. Send me a PM if it is and how to contact the person who is selling it. If you are purchasing it, good luck as it is a nice configuration :wink:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Tenneseenuc,

If this gun is for purchase I am definately interested. I had posted a couple of months ago as I was looking for one for some sentimental reasons and have been on the lookout for about a year..I believe the gun is probably made in the 50's to early 60's but chk the serial number and subtract. Send me a PM if it is and how to contact the person who is selling it. If you are purchasing it, good luck as it is a nice configuration :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
ChipM,
No subtracting for serial numbers in the 50's and 60's. That method only works from 1972 on. Early Marlins had alphabetical prefixes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts