Marlin Firearms Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
I have three model 336's with see-through mounts. Two of them also have peep sights you can use through the mounts. I seek them out to use because they work so well.

Every time I shoulder a rifle, I keep my head still. No crunching down to see into a low scope. Head straight with a minimum of cheek pressure. Cheek pressure is a BAD thing. Pulse and muscle movement in the cheek adversely affects how steady you can hold a rifle. Different cheek pressures can affect the impact point of shots by altering the recoil pattern and affect barrel vibration. Any change in pressures during a shot is a bad thing. Cheek pressure, unless tightly controlled, is a bad thing.

Now the rifles we are talking about are not precise shooting rifles. For how most use them and expect them to perform, any reasonable 2 MOA group is often considered excellent. Press tightly with your cheek and lower your head to shoot. That can move your impact points around and open up your grouping. Do it and leave more deer there for me.
Well CaptainMal It sounds like a good argument to me. But don't we put your heads down and apply cheek press with iron sights too.
T:hmmmm: NY

· Registered
418 Posts
Yeah but iron sights are used mostly for short shots, often under poor weather conditions where precise accuracy is not needed or even possible.

Most of my rifles do not have iron sights. They are used for shots at game or targets to 1,000 yards. Scopes are normally high above the bores, not because of figure 8 mounts but because of objective lens size 50MM or larger. 2" above bore or more is not much of an issue for accuracy at range with knowledge. One good thing is most all of the issues related to accuracy at range are not factors using typical 336's.

I like my little 336's. Going to shoot two of them this morning. Neither will be expected to shoot past 100 yards today but they can and I often test and do that. It's just there are way, way better alternatives for long-range shooting. For what they are they work fine and figure 8 mounts offer more opportunities to use them under varied conditions.

· Registered
124 Posts
The picture below is a 5 shot .9" group at 100 yds with my 336 and 150 grain nosler blem (naked) BT 30/30 bullets.
The scope is a 2-7 burris bp held in place by SEE THROUGH MOUNTS!
Sighted 1.75' high at 100 and the hashmarks line up perfectly at 200/250/300 yds.
Its not hard to ring the 12" gong at 300 with this sucker.
WE hunt really thick brush making drives and posting during wis whitetail season. Sometimes snow is tumbling off the pines down your back and all over your gun. It's pretty nice to have 2 sighting systems. Many of our shots are extremely quick. I've shot an equal number of deer using both the iron sights down low and the scope. One buck was at 15' and I was on my knees trying to see him as he came at me. Just what I'm used to and have liked for many years.

· Banned
651 Posts
Hell I could not even get them sighted to bore line!!! They are a waste of time and money cause I lost the receipt.

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Okay you guys made me do it. Today I shot my 336XLR 308 exp. and a box a home rolled LE. ammo. Targets about a 3 1/2" square of red paper. 3 at 100 Yards 1 at 150 yards Millet SEE THRU RINGS:flute:
T:biggrin: NY

Attachments

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Which ones are the scope and which ones are the see thru irons?

· Registered
20,689 Posts
Not to awful shabby Tony, a little less coffee a touch of Natty Lite:biggrin:, you got a good shootin gun.

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Condition all three at 100 yds. and at 150 yds. I would use the scope beside my point is with a good SEE THRU and install correctly you can get good hunting accuracy. But would assure you if I was shooting iron at 10 - 50 yds. it would be gutting time. Here is some of my handy work, see pic.:biggrin:

Thanks myflatline

T:flute: NY

Attachments

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Nice shooting, but I still maintain that see thru sights have outlived their purpose.
If people want to buy them, it's their money.
I'm not saying people can't hit anything with them. Just that the reason they exist
was because early scopes were mostly junk and unreliable.
So you needed a see thru mount when hunting because of fogging and other
failures.

Nowadays that's pretty rare with a decent scope and see thrus are generally speaking
not needed because most people have quick release rings and off come Mr. Scope in
a few seconds.

Glad you shoot yours well, but you couldn't pay me to put them on any gun I own.

Reactions: gb_in_tx

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Well Condition 1 isn't it a wonderful county we have many choices and we both made ours.
T:hmmmm: NY

· Registered
140 Posts
For those of you changing magnifications on the fly.

EAGLE EYE Speed Lever - Universal Fit [SVSPTEE] - $24.99 : MGM Switchview, The fastest and easiest way to adjust your power setting!

The MGM switch view also helps with variable magnification scopes. Its basically an extension on the magnification ring. I used to shoot 3 gun where the idea originated from and they really took off in the last couple of years in other shooting disciplines. Keep your magnification dialed down and if you need to go to a higher magnification its a a lot easier to do it in a hurry. The link i posted is the newer, cheaper, universal product.

I found these vids on youtube to better illustrate how it works:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.